Chapter Twenty

A/N- This chapter is more of a stage-setter for future events so sorry if its a bit on the boring side.

***********************************************************************

Caleb's POV

I took a deep breath and rubbed the back of my neck, scanning my gaze over the four pairs of eyes that were looking up at me expectantly. I had no idea where to start.

My teammates and I were at our usual morning spot by the school parking lot, sitting on the steep stair steps that led to the inside of the school. I stood over them all after announcing that I had something to tell important to tell them, and now here I was, about to spill everything about Cat and I before she got here in her raggedy Jeep.

"So I haven't been completely honest with you guys," I started.

"What do you mean?" Nathan asked, his blue eyes reflecting the confusion that was prominent between his knitted brows. He wasn't on the wheelchair anymore but he still had a cast slung on his shoulder.

"Well," I hesitated, searching for the right words. I knew admitting the truth to them was going to be a challenge but I didn't expect it to be completely disabling. But the truth was that I was afraid of what they'd think about it all-afraid that they would shun me away for having lied to their faces countless times.

But then I thought about the way Cat's cool lips felt on my own-how amazing it felt to have her hands rummage through my hair. I pictured the small smile that had rested on her pink lips after we broke our kiss in the hallway after school. Her long lashes painted shadows on her cheeks as she looked down at my chest; that faint, peaceful smile never wavering from her face.

I knew I had to tell them. For her.

"The truth is that Catalina and I are.... going out," I managed to say, forcing myself to keep a strong face in front of them. I waited for the blow to come.

A string of laughter filled the parking lot as Nathan, Corey, Joseph and David began to chuckle, throwing me glances that read have you gone insane?

"Good one, bro," Joseph said, still laughing a little.

"I'm being serious."

"No you're not," David rolled his eyes at me. "You hate her. You even told us about how much you hated it when she kissed you after the game."

"I thought I hated her," I corrected. "But I realized that I wasn't hating her, but hating the fact that I didn't."

"Dude, I have no idea what sort of play on words you used there but I have absolutely no idea what you're saying," Joseph said dumbly.

I clamped my mouth shut to keep from snapping at him, reminding myself that these guys haven't done anything wrong. It was perfectly understandable for them to not believe me; I just had to prove to them that I was telling the truth.

"Remember the first time we saw her?" I asked insistently. "It was on that same day that I nearly hit her with my car while I was driving home after dropping off a book at Esme's house. It was late at night and I took her to my apartment to treat her wounds-she was attacked by some dogs."

At my explanation, Corey and Nathan's eyes widened in surprise while Joseph and David shared unconvinced glances.

"On the night of that party-the one where you fell of the pier," I began, addressing Nathan who was staring off into the empty space beside me. This part was going to be hard to admit. I took another deep breath, hoping that it would give me the strength to push on. "I wasn't there because I was the one who kicked the crap out of Jimmy Dean after he forced himself onto her. She was being drunk and stupid and I was so angry that I had leave before I lost control. I drove her to my house and she stayed the night there on my couch after she passed out."