Chapter Twenty-Three (Part I)

A/N- I had initially planned to update this weekend but the chapter was turning out to be too long so here's the first part.

******************************************

Adrianna's POV

"I don't understand," I stated in annoyance, eyeing Caleb from the driver's side of the bench as he drove the truck. "Shouldn't I be allowed to know where we're going? I mean, what if you're taking me to some creepy warehouse where a whole bunch of thugs are waiting to kill me?"

Caleb turned his head to gape at me with pure horror written all over his well-defined face. His golden eyes widened. "I would never in a million years even think of doing that. Jesus Cat, what do you take me for?"

"Okay, so not a creepy warehouse," I clarified. "But what if-"

"You're just going to have to trust me," Caleb intercepted, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. He raised an eyebrow at me as the corner of his mouth turned up playfully. A challenge.

But could I trust him? That was a question that wasn't even worth asking. Of course I could; there was something about Caleb that made me feel completely and utterly safe so long as he was by my side. His bright smile was always pure and sincere-never lacking any believability. I was sure I could put my trust into this human boy simply by the way his soft eyes gave no hint of any deception or underlying evil. They were the total opposite of King Alexandru's sinister gaze. Yes, I could trust these eyes.

"Fine," I muttered. In response Caleb reached over to my side of the bench and grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly along with my heart.

A sudden thought occurred to me and immediately filled me with panic. I turned to him, ignoring the way my hand was currently burning with the feel of his-a surprisingly good sensation. He was so hot. Was it even normal to feel this warm?

"Can I just ask one question?" I asked as politely as I could manage.

Caleb sat silently for a moment, considering. The red stop light lit up his face and gave it a bloody hue. "Okay-just one."

"Are we staying in Fairview Hills?"I questioned just as the lights turned green.

He hit the gas and I fought against the pull of gravity that was attempting to lurch my body backwards in response to his slamming the pedal so hard. The kid drove even crazier than I did; no joke.

"Yeah," he replied, and my tense body immediately eased up. I had been so absorbed in my internal war involving my feelings for Caleb that I had completely forgotten that this date could not have gone beyond the boundary lines of Fairview Hills. At least, not if I wanted to get killed by werewolves or caught sneaking into my Kingdom by vampires. How could I be so careless?

It turned out that the mystery place for our date wasn't that far at all. It wasn't long before Caleb pulled into the small parking lot of a medium-sized, rectangular brick building, its rough terracotta exterior being illuminated by the neon glow of the large words mounted on its face that read: BOWLING. The letter "O" in the word was replaced by an image of a round bowling ball, which flickered at random intervals.

"Bowling?" I asked, my gaze glued to the building in question.

"She can read!" Caleb joked to nobody.

I glared at him but it wasn't as hard as I had intended it to be. I was beginning to find that it was impossible to be truly upset with him.

"Ha," I replied humorlessly, trying with all my might to keep a smile from creeping onto my face.