Chapter 50 - Chloe (Part 1)

Thank goodness for being a werewolf with quick healing capabilities, otherwise, Chloe didn't know how she'd walk in the mornings.

For the second time, she woke up feeling not only content and at peace with the world after fighting with herself for months, but also well-rested. After making love multiple times the night before, she was so exhausted that she slept like a log and barely stirred. Animkii's presence also helped. He not only sexually excited her but brought her great peace and comfort during their quiet alone times.

Unfortunately, when she stretched and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, she found herself alone.

After getting dressed, she opened the door to the cabin and sniffed around for him. The cabin was tucked back in the forest about a quarter of a mile. His trail smelled about an hour old. What time was it? She didn't notice any clocks in the cabin.

Crap, what if she was late for training?

She shook her head. Alpha Noodin said he'd arrange a private trainer for her. He hadn't given her a definite schedule yet as he had to work that out with someone. It would probably be later in the day as all the good fighters spent their mornings in training.

It would be a massive change in pace. She'd gotten used to waking up early, going for a run, then going to training in place of school. What was she supposed to do in her mornings now?

And where had Animkii gone?

She turned back inside and yanked her shoes on. When she opened the door again to head out, she spotted him walking toward her through the trees fifty yards ahead from the direction of the pack house. A duffle bag was slung over his back and he was dressed in yesterday's clothes. It was then that she realized he never packed any of his things until now.

He tromped with one arm swinging slightly at his side and the other supporting the strap of his bag on his shoulder with his head down and spine curved. He was too far away to get a good look at his face, but from his posture, he seemed despondent.

Closing the door behind her, she stepped down the front steps to meet him. Concern tugged on her heart as her suspicions were confirmed.

He looked up as she neared and brightened a little, but seemed as though he still had something on his mind.

"What's wrong?" she asked as he reached her.

Reaching out with his free hand, he pulled her in for a kiss on the forehead. "Nothing that you need to worry about."

She scowled. "Hey, we're mates now. You can tell me anything."

His expression curved downward in a frown. He heaved a sigh as he shifted the weight of the bag on his shoulder and continued trodding toward the cabin. "You'll just scold me."

"Anim, do you still feel like you're second-best?"

He didn't answer and when she was about to press him he said, "Yeah... But..." He trailed off as they reached the cabin and didn't finish his thought.

She didn't like seeing him like this. He was so happy yesterday. What happened to change his mood?

With his hand in hers, she turned him toward her. "What brought this on? You don't need to worry. How about we go for a run? Would that help take your mind off it?"

He contemplated her suggestion for a minute as he climbed the steps to the cabin. After opening the door and setting his duffle bag down inside, he turned to her with a smile. "Sure. But just for a few miles. I want to take you up to the construction site in the midland."

She smiled and sat down on the weather-beaten wooden bench next to the steps. Animkii joined her after she'd taken her shoes off and took his own off. He cast sideways glances at her as she stripped and set her clothes down on the bench next to him before he rose and took his shirt off. Before she had a chance to step back and shift, he pulled her in for a kiss and ran his hands roughly down her back, and settled on her butt.