Chapter 33 - Chloe (Part 2)

This wasn't how Chloe expected to enter adulthood.

She didn't expect to have confusing feelings about someone she hated.

She didn't expect to find out one of her best friends took the side of the person who hurt her.

And she didn't expect to feel more lost and confused than before she entered adulthood.

Who could she trust now with her feelings? Who could she count on to be there for her and stand by her side when life threw curve balls at her?

She didn't know what to do. Her thoughts were all muddled up and she could barely focus the day after her birthday and during school the following Monday.

Now that she was an adult, and no male announced his claim over her, the other werewolves at her school started pursuing her, like the humans did when she was a freshman.

She wasn't in the mood and snarled at anyone who even looked at her like she was a trophy to win.

Even Kayla was surprised by the sudden shift in her mood and the attention she was getting.

When she came home from school, she shut herself up in her room and refused to come out, even when the doorbell rang and her mother hollered for her to come down.

Anwaatin eventually climbed up the stairs and knocked softly on her door.

"Can we talk?"

Chloe glared at the door. "Go away."

"Please, Chloe? I'm really sorry. You caught me by surprise and I didn't know what to say."

A growl crept up Chloe's throat. Pulling herself up from the bed, she stalked to the door and yanked it open.

Anwaatin stood before her with her head bowed. Shame and anxiety dripped from her pores as she self-consciously rubbed her arm.

"Sorry for what? Taking the side of someone who hurt me?"

Anwaatin flinched. "Please forgive me. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"You betrayed me, Ann. Friends don't take the sides of bullies just because they're siblings."

"It's not like that." The hesitancy in Anwaatin's voice only enraged Chloe more.

"Fuck off."

About to slam the door in the younger female's face, Anwaatin thrust her hands out to push her weight against it.

"Please, Chloe. I need to talk to you." Desperation laced the pup's voice as she cried out, struggling to keep the door from shutting completely.

Salt prickled Chloe's nose. She deflated a little.

Dammit. She couldn't stay angry at Anwaatin if she cried.

Easing up on the door, she opened it and Anwaatin rushed forward, wrapping her arms around Chloe's waist and clinging to her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Please, please forgive me."

Her tears dampened Chloe's shoulder and she couldn't help but hold the young teen as she whimpered.

Heaving a sigh, the last of Chloe's anger dissolved as she eased Anwaatin a few steps into her room so she could close the door and have some privacy.

"I don't know, Ann," she confessed. "I'm so confused these last few days. I don't know what to say, or think, or do, or feel. I thought you, of all people, would have my back and I was wrong."