Chapter Two

Senior year, the last year of high school. This is supposedly the best year of your entire life where you'll become who you're meant to be and make friends that will stay by your side forever. My journey as a senior started with AP calculus so I'm not sure that what I've been told is true. Starting the 'highlight of my life' with the worse lesson in the whole of history doesn't sound like a very good start to me.

"Brody's waiting for us outside," Penny hooks her arm in mine as she drags me towards the exit. She notices my weariness and reassures me, "don't worry, you'll love him." I nod my head in acknowledgement.

There's a slight breeze when we step outside. I'm thankful that I chose to tie my hair up today. The last thing I need is to have to go the rest of the day with windswept hair that resembles a bird's nest. We walk over to a couple of benches and she plops down on one of them.

"Brody this is Madison, Madison this is Brody." Penny introduces us. I smile in his direction and take a seat opposite them, dropping my bag onto the grass next to me.

Brody sticks his hand out for me to shake and I stare at it for longer than necessary. His puzzled eyes shift to his hand, then back to my face. "Oh, sorry." I apologise, finally placing my hand in his.

"You'll have to get used to it around this guy," Penny elbows him playfully, clearly sensing my surprise at his handshake. He yelps. "Don't be a wimp, that didn't hurt." She deadpans with a roll of her deep-set eyes.

"Of course, it didn't. You couldn't even hurt a fly." He jokes. He raises an eyebrow, challenging her to deny it. She scoffs and shakes her head in amusement. I can't help but laugh.

It doesn't take long for him to throw us into a conversation about a new recipe he wants us to try. The passion that he has for it is evident as pride dances around his blue eyes, his face lighting up. That could just be the sun shining down through the trees but I'm choosing to believe it's his natural glow.

His blonde shaggy hair sways slightly as he laughs at something Penny said but I fail to hear it, my attention snatched away by a boy. A boy who could control everyone within a ten-mile radius by simply snapping his fingers.

A black t-shirt is sitting on his shoulders and it doesn't take me long to realise that he's wearing the same thing as yesterday. Is he one of those boys whose closet is full of only black shirts and jeans? Archer stuffs his hands into his pockets as he walks alongside his friend, Tyler.

Penny gave me the lowdown on everyone that I need to know. She mentioned that Archer only has a few people he considers to be friends. Tyler, the school's quarterback, is one of them.

As if feeling my eyes on him, his gaze meets mine as he turns towards me. My breath hitches in my throat and I swallow hard. Before I can process anything, he starts making his way over.

I panic, my eyes wide, and rummage around in my backpack for a distraction. Nervously, I grab the first thing my hands come into contact with before placing it on the table, making it look like I wasn't just watching him. I look down to see a calculator laying in front of me, but don't have time to put it back as he's already sliding onto the bench next to me.

Cringing inwardly, I will my face to become expressionless. I'm not affected by his presence, definitely not.

I push random buttons on the calculator as the rich smell of pine and mint fills my nostrils. Archer stops chewing his gum and turns to Penny. "I need a favour." I shiver when his gaze meets mine only for it to return to his twin sister moments later.

He clasps his hands together when she gives him a bored look. "What is it this time?" She asks, resting her head upon her hand as she waits for his answer.