Chapter Thirty

I say as I hop off Archer's motorcycle, "I'll never get used to that." The feeling of solid ground beneath my feet is a relief. I take the helmet off, handing it to Archer.

"I'll never get used to that hair." He retorts. I huff and readjust my bun, so it looks less like a birds nesting in it. A flush crawls up my cheeks still. When is my body going to get used to being around him? At this rate, it won't.

"Sorry, not all of us can look perfect all the time." I roll my eyes. It takes a few second for me to realise what I said and, once I do, I slap my hand against my mouth. I can feel my cheeks heating up beneath my fingertips even more. The amusement dancing in his brown eyes is only making it worse.

"Say that again, I didn't hear you." He teases.

"Oh, shut up." I avoid eye contact with him. "Will you tell me where we're going yet?"

"You're so impatient." He rolls his eyes and sets off in the direction of a bunch of houses. I follow close behind him.

"I was on the back of that thing for ages, I think I have the right to know."

The newly built houses around me look familiar. I recognise the white picket fence around each of them and the freshly painted mailbox directly across from us. Maybe if I didn't have my eyes squeezed shut the entire time it took us to get here, I might have been able to work it out by the turns we took and the streets we went down.

He scratches his chin in thought mockingly causing me to nudge him with my shoulder. "Fine," he chuckles, "Tyler needed me for something."

That's all he has to say for it to click. I've been here before. It was when he disappeared for days. I came to Tyler's house to see if he had any idea where he was. Everything that day was a blur so it's no surprise that it took me a while to recognise this place.

"What did he need you for?"

He shrugs, "I don't know."

After three knocks on the door and five seconds of waiting in silence, it opens revealing Tyler in, you guessed it, black jeans, and a t-shirt. At least he's actually wearing clothes this time.

"Arch," he holds his hand out in front of him and they do some complicated handshake. I watch them, amazed at how they remember that. "Something's happened with Autumn's parents. I don't have time now, but I'll explain it later."

"Is she okay?"

"She will be," Tyler reassures him. I have a feeling he missed out a further explanation on purpose.

"She needs me at her place. If I could take Natalie with me I would."

"What do you need?" Archer cuts him off.

Tyler drags his hands down his face. He's stressed and it's clear to see. I'm overcome with concern for Autumn, yet I've never met her. I understand what it's like for something to happen with your parents. I just hope whatever happened is fixable.

"I need you to stay here until I get back to make sure Natalie's okay. She won't wake up; you know how she is. She'll sleep through anything. Maya's staying over at her friends, so you don't need to worry about her either."

Archer's quick to agree. Tyler thanks him briefly before rushing out of the door seconds later, jumping into his car and speeding off within a matter of seconds. Then, it's just me and Archer stood outside his house.

I don't know what to say so instead I just sway back and forth on my feet. Archer walks inside and my eyes dart from his retreating form to the threshold of the house.

"Do you want me to leave?" I ask timidly, peering inside.

"No," is all he says.

I take this as my invitation to come in, so I do, shutting the door quietly behind me. By the sounds of what Tyler said, Natalie's sleeping, and I don't want to be the one to wake her.