Chapter Sixty

I stare into the crowd of faces. Each one has a pitiful look, their eyes piercing into my soul with each passing second. All of them blur into one. I feel like I'm staring at my worst nightmare. They've morphed into something that will continue to haunt me in my dreams for eternity. Penny will be front and centre.

The worst possible thing that I could imagine happening has happened. She knows. Brody knows. Everyone knows what a liar I am. I've been lying to their faces, hoping that this day won't come. I was a fool to be so hopeful.

Archer's gaze locks with mine causing my heart to stop. He looks vulnerable, something that I would have never expected to see. Vulnerable wouldn't be the word I'd choose to describe him. Before it would have been reserved, a boy locked behind the walls he'd built around himself, now it would be deceiving. He wanted me to think there was good in him. I let myself believe that lie.

How dare he play the victim here. He's looking at me as if we're the same as if this has been an attack on him too. No. Whoever did this knew I had more to lose. I'm the one who has suffered the most loss at the hand of that stupid photograph.

A lump forms in my throat as he continues to watch me. He wants me to believe he feels sympathy for what happened. He wants to make me believe he's capable of being sympathetic. I know better than that.

Archer Anderson isn't capable of such an emotion.

I release a shaky breath as a stray tear falls down my cheek. I hurry to wipe it away before anyone notices and scurry out of the bleachers away from all of their prying eyes. I push open the doors to the school. The lights turn on as I run past the lockers, into the girl's bathroom.

I dart into one of the stalls and crumple onto the floor of the stall. My breathing grows heavier as the silence creeps in. I try to calm down, but nothing works. Tears prick my eyes. I let them fall this time, not bothering to muffle my sobs with the sleeve of my jumper in case anyone comes in.

I've lost everything just like that. It was as easy as someone clicking send on a message. To whoever sent it, it was just that. All they had to do was send the message. To me, it's a hell of a lot more. That photograph has cost me everything. My dignity's still sitting on the bleachers, I left it behind as soon as I saw Penny's face.

Her face flashes in front of me. I squeeze my eyes shut in the hopes that it will vanish. She was hurting because of me. I'm the one who caused this and, sitting in this bathroom struggling to catch my breath, I deserve this. It's my punishment for being so selfish.

I continue rocking back and forth, my arms wrapped around my frame until I've got no tears left to cry. My throat's dry and hoarse from all of the sobs that have wracked my body and my palms have crescent moons indented in them from my nails.

I breathe in slowly and stand up, proceeding to unlock the door and stumble out of the bathroom. I don't make it far before my legs buckle underneath me. I cling onto the closest locker to prevent myself from falling to my knees.

The school's eerily quiet. Everyone's too busy enjoying themselves outside. They're moving on with their lives. I'll be stuck on this page for a long time to come. I know how this goes; I'll be the talk of the town for a while. Then I'll go back to being invisible just like I was in London. I left to escape this, yet I've found myself right back where I started.

"Madison." A voice calls my name causing my eyes to widen. My head turns towards the sound on its own accord, acting on instinct at the familiar voice. I notice Archer walking towards me with his hands by his sides.

Seeing him fuels me with anger. It's him. It has to be him. Who else would have known we were there that day?

"You!" I shout suddenly being overwhelmed by hatred for him.