Chapter Four

I reluctantly take the leather jacket out of his hands and push my arms through the sleeves. It isn't the warmest thing, but it will do. I inhale Archer's scent that still lingers on it, having to forcefully refrain from smiling. This is for survival purposes only. If I don't wear this I might freeze to death.

"Thank you but, I'm not getting on that thing." I point at the monstrosity in front of me that he chooses to ride with a shudder.

"Are you scared?" He teases. I wrap his jacket around me tighter and glare at him.

"Yes, I'm scared. I could fall off at any moment," I shriek at the thought. He grins in amusement. "It can't be safe."

"I wouldn't have asked you to get on it if it wasn't." I look at him, really look at him. Can I trust him with my safety?

I weigh the pros and cons in my head. He must care if he doesn't want me to wait for a taxi, but I could die. He could just be asking me because he knows that he wouldn't hear the last of it if he left me here alone. But most importantly, I could die.

I look into the distance one more time, but the roads are bare. It doesn't look like the taxi is coming anytime soon.

Against my better judgement, I give in. "Fine, pass me a helmet." I bark, making sure he knows how much I don't want to do this.

My common sense goes out the window with each step I take towards him. I tell myself that I shouldn't be doing this and that being close to him isn't worth it but once he hands me the helmet and I climb onto the back of his motorcycle; it's too late.

"I need you to hold on," He places his helmet back onto his head, looking back at me.

My mouth forms an 'o' and I do as he says, wrapping my arms around his waist a bit too comfortable. "Not that tight." He grumbles. I loosen my grip, muttering a quick sorry.

As soon he starts accelerating, I hold onto him tighter than I was previously. We start to pick up speed and I move closer than I thought was possible to him. I rest my head on his back as I squeeze my eyes shut.

I feel a laugh rumble through his chest and have the sudden urge to punch him in his side, but I know that it wouldn't be a very safe choice. The last thing I need is him losing control because I punched him. "You're safe." He reassures me.

I still don't move in fear of falling off. Is he crazy? I'm not safe on the back of this thing. If anything, I'm the complete opposite of safe.

It feels like forever until we finally come to a stop. I peel my eyes open and am glad to see his house in front of us. I relax my muscles, thanking my guardian angel for not letting me die.

"You can let go of me now." Archer's voice breaks me out of my thoughts. I purse my lips together and instantly remove my arms from his waist, pulling the helmet off my head.

I climb off of his motorcycle and debate on kissing the ground but decide against it. "I'm alive," I state in surprise.

"Of course, you are. Do you really think I'd have put you in danger?" He furrows his eyebrows at my reaction. I probably look crazy right now.

"Um," my voice falters as I avoid eye contact awkwardly. "I guess not."

I give him the helmet before we walk into the house together. Henry and Sophie aren't here again so we're alone. I kick my trainers off at the door.

Before I can thank him for the terrifying ride and give him his jacket back, he's already in his room. Oh.

I shrug it off and go into mine, hanging his jacket up on the back of my door. I'll have to give it to him tomorrow, there's no way I'm knocking on his door and exposing myself to certain embarrassment again.