Chapter Eleven

Melissa shoots me a smile of encouragement before going into the back, leaving me alone with him. My palms grow sweaty, and I rub them on my denim shorts. I wasn't expecting to be serving a customer this soon. I thought I would have until Tuesday to rehearse what I'm going to say.

Now I've been put on the spot my mind is blank. His expensive cologne filling my nostrils isn't helping me with that either. It's very distracting.

Come on, Madison, get a grip. You need to prove yourself to Melissa. You need to prove to yourself that you can do this.

I tilt my head up so my eyes connect with his. He looks to be around nineteen and, by what he's wearing, he must have a very serious job. Everything about him is intimidating. Not to mention he's towering over me, making me feel smaller than I thought was possible.

"How can I help you?" I do my best to keep a smile on my face.

"I'm looking for something for my boss." His eyes wander around the shop, looking at everything there is to offer.

"Anything specific?" I ask, following his gaze as they bounce from one plant to the other. I can't help the nerves from entering my voice, so my words falter halfway through. If he noticed, he's either kind enough to not mention it or doesn't care.

"I need something that says, 'I'm sorry you're an asshole and I quit'" My eyes grow wide, shocked by his honesty, and he continues with a chuckle. "Without being too harsh."

I gape at him. "You're quitting yet you're giving your boss flowers?"

Normally people buy them when it's someone's birthday or they've achieved something or maybe just because they appreciate them. It's unusual for someone to give them to a person they hate unless they spray water in your face of course.

"I'm a gentleman," he bows jokingly. I roll my eyes with a giggle. "Flowers will cushion the blow of me quitting."

I ponder over his words. "That does make a lot of sense," I admit causing him to grin. "Okay, well, you're my first customer so you're going to have to be patient with me. I'm still trying to learn where everything is." I try to send Melissa a call for help with my mind, but she doesn't receive it. I don't know nearly enough to do this right now.

"Take however long you need." He reassures me.

I take a deep breath as we wander around the shop, looking at everything on the shelves. The only ones that spike my interest are the ones that I like the look of. I just roll with it. I'm not experienced enough to know what goes with which situation yet.

"How about these?" I pluck out a few random flowers and bunch them together, inwardly cringing at myself. I don't even know what these are called. The only thing I could tell you about them is that they're white.

"These smell great." I plaster on a convincing smile before shoving them towards him.

He examines them in my hand and then curtly shakes his head. "You're right, they do. But they're too bland for her. I can't even walk into her office without being blinded by all the colours." He squints his eyes to emphasise his words.

"Okay," I hum as I put them back in their place. "These?" I grab some pink flowers and continue my act. "They're more colourful," I state despite him being able to see that already.

He plucks it out of my hand, turning it slightly as he admires it. "It's definitely brighter, but I don't think these are the ones I'm looking for."

My gaze drops to the floor at my two failed attempts. He leans down slightly, giving me a reassuring smile. I take a deep breath and muster up all of the positive energy that I can. I can do this.