Chapter Eighteen

Three games of beer pong later and Penny and Brody are completely and utterly drunk. They skipped the tipsy phase, instead, going straight into the uncontrollable one where you speak before you think, and your confidence is tripled.

Brody beat Penny at beer pong less than five minutes ago. Let's just say, she wasn't happy about it. She threw a tantrum and sprawled out on the table, claiming that if she has to lose then everyone does. It didn't take long for him to join her in his drunken state.

"Please get down," I beg but all I get in response is laughter. Their eyes crease at the corners in amusement as I huff. Am I seriously going to have to deal with them like this for the rest of the night?

People shoot us angered looks as they pass. I mutter apologies left, right, and centre. They're having fun chuckling at something that never happened, and I'm left to deal with the damage. Great. Penny was right, this is so much fun.

I wrap my hand around hers and attempt to pull her down. She sticks her tongue out at me, knowing that I don't have enough strength to move her. I roll my eyes at her childish behaviour.

"Come on..." I beg. She raises her chin in confidence, a smirk tugging at her lips. Archer's signature smirk flashes before my eyes. The last thing I need is another version of him to deal with. They may be twins, but I'd prefer if she didn't turn into his sarcastic self when she's drunk.

Brody's voice steals my attention away. "I agreed to stay with my dad." He announces. My grip on her hand loosens as my eyes widen. She snatches it away from me as soon as she gets the chance.

I search for any sign of pain, emotional, not physical, on his face but all I see is amusement. I see what they mean when they say alcohol makes you numb.

Penny pokes him in the cheek. "Your dad's an asshole!" She shouts. No one here pays attention though, they're too busy taking endless shots to notice.

All of the colours drain from my face. I watch him, silently waiting for him to blow. But he doesn't. In fact, he does the opposite. "I second you on that!" He hollers. They both high five as if they just passed an algebra test. I wasn't expecting that reaction.

"Do you know what's funny?"

"Dogs aren't suing us for eating corn dogs?"

"Woah! I've never thought of it like that." Penny gasps. She places her hands on either side of his face and stares into his eyes. "Don't worry, Brody. I'll stand up for the little fluffballs. I'm never eating another corn dog in my life!"

"Cheers to that!" They pick up their drinks which were resting dangerously on the edge of the table and smash them together. The impact causes fruit punch to spill on their faces. Penny's tongue darts out to lick it off as Brody furiously wipes at his face.

"Okay, that's enough." I take the alcohol away from them.

"I haven't even told you yet," Penny whines.

"Fine, say what you've got to say and then you're both getting down."

She salutes. "Aye, aye, Captain!" I roll my eyes.

I'm not the captain, if anything I'm the traitor walking the plank. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to falling overboard and no one will be there to save me. In their drunken state, they would probably cheer and jump in after me. At least I'd know I could still count on them.

"Are you ready to hear it?" Brody props himself up on his elbows, nodding eagerly. "You," she pokes the tip of his nose, "are spending Halloween with Satan himself." She throws her head back in laughter. He joins her.