Chapter Seventeen

All that Penny has to say for my nerves to skyrocket is, "we're here." This is my first time going to a high school party. Most seniors have experienced these hundreds of times by now. I, on the other hand, have no experience whatsoever.

I've watched enough movies to know what to expect. There'll be sweaty teenagers making out with each other left and right, underage drinkers throwing their drinks everywhere and laughing uncontrollably at something barely worth a chuckle, and you can't forget about the couples hunting for some privacy whilst bursting into occupied rooms.

From what I've seen, parties aren't my idea of fun.

"Finally!" Brody throws himself out of the car, bubbling with the type of excitement that only a party can instil.

Penny gets out of the car a bit more safely than he did. I take this as my cue to follow them. I step out and smooth my dress once my feet are safely on the ground.

Penny forced me to go shopping with her yesterday to find something to wear. I told her that I had enough clothes already in my closet, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. I managed to find something after hours of torture.

I'm wearing a black long-sleeved dress with white polka-dots littered across the fabric. The deep neckline accentuates the silver locket, the one my dad got me for my sixteenth birthday, and the slit ends halfway down my right thigh. It's loose-fitting which makes me feel slightly more comfortable. I threw some tights on with it and a pair of black boots. I don't want to risk wearing anything with a heel.

Penny was more adventurous than me. I aimed to fit in whereas she did the opposite. You won't miss her in her leopard print flares, you'd probably see her from a mile away. Equally, her dramatic makeup is bound to catch everyone's eye. She tried to persuade me to change up mine, but I refused, insisting that I would feel more confident with my usual plain look.

Despite arriving in her car, I know we won't be leaving in it. I have a feeling I'm going to be the only one able to stand by the end of the night. We'll definitely be getting a taxi home.

We step over already drunk students passed out in front of the house. One of them groans as I pass them causing me to nearly jump out of my skin. There's a boy in the distance bent over in front of a tree spewing his guts out. Bile rises in my throat at the sight, and I look away instantly, trying to erase that from my memory. I pray that Penny and Brody don't end up like him.

"I'll get us all something to drink," Penny shouts over the obnoxiously loud music before heading for the kitchen. I and Brody exchange a knowing look and follow after her.

I'd rather pick out my own drink, I have no idea what she'd pick out for me if I didn't. It would more than likely be something that'll have me passed out on the floor like the people outside by the end of the night.

I manage to find a sealed bottle of Coca-Cola in the fridge and decide that this is going to be what I'm drinking tonight. I pour it in a red plastic cup, so I look less like the odd one out. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person here not drinking alcohol.

Brody and Penny have red plastic cups clutched in their hands too, but they don't have Coca-Cola in theirs. I've never been drunk before and I don't intend to be, definitely not tonight anyway.

Without warning, Penny grabs my hand and drags me onto the dance floor. We weave through the mounds of people until she finds a good spot to stop.

"I'm not dancing!" I protest but she gives me a mischievous grin.

She starts to sway her hips to the music and thrusts her hands into her hair. I freeze. I feel like a deer in headlights only the headlights are the prying eyes of my classmates. What do I do? I search for a route to get out of here. Everyone's so tightly packed together, there's no way I'd be able to escape without being crushed in the process.