Chapter Twenty-One

I throw open the door to the house and skip up the stairs. When I pass Penny's room, I give her a quick wave; she tilts her head in confusion. I don't stop to explain, there's something far more important I have to do.

Bursting into Archer's room, I can barely contain myself. "There's so much I need to tell you. I don't know where to start-" My thoughts rush around my head at one hundred miles per hour. My eyes dart open but, instead of seeing Archer, I'm met with an empty room. Oh. He's not here.

I ignore the disappointment that's clawing its way into my chest, instead, trying to stop the confident smile that has graced my features from wavering.

"Where's Archer?" I ask Penny as I leap into her room. I sit at the end of her bed and cross my legs, propping my head upon my hand.

"If I did the world would surely be ending," she jokes with a roll of her eyes. I can't help but giggle at the truth in her words. Something would have to be seriously wrong for him to tell anyone where he's going. "Maybe try Tyler's."

Why didn't I think of that? I pad across the carpet only to halt in the doorframe. "What's the address?"

She scribbles it down on a loose piece of paper before handing it to me. "Do you want me to drive you?"

"I'll just take a taxi. Thanks though," I chirp.

Waiting for the taxi seems like hours. I sit on the sofa, then move to the table, then onto the floor. I can't help but fidget with my hands, unable to keep them still. I'm not nervous about what I have to say to him, I'm nervous about how he'll react.

The taxi arrives not long later, and I practically throw myself into the passenger seat, barking orders to the driver. My voice comes out louder than expected and I cringe internally, giving him an apologetic smile. He gives me a slight nod of his head before driving to the destination.

Tyler's house is further away than I expected it to be. By the time we pull up outside, I've yawned six times in total and procrastinated every way that this could go. I know that somehow Archer will still surprise me.

I throw twenty dollars at the man and don't wait for the change. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll change my mind and go home. That's not an option. I suck it up and knock on his door. But, as soon as it opens my hand snaps over my eyes.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim horrified at what I've seen. "I'm sorry, I can come back later if you-"

"What is it?" He asks with a bored tone. I will myself to peel my fingers away from my eyes but make sure to only look at his face. The towel sitting dangerously low on his hips that I saw only seconds ego is enough to keep my gaze glued to his. Water droplets run down his face from his hair, but he doesn't wipe them away.

He peers over my shoulder causing my eyebrows to furrow. He appears to be looking for someone. The disappointment dancing in his eyes tells me that the person he seeks isn't there. I shake it off. He's probably just waiting for someone. I should make this quick.

"Um," I clear my throat, trying to remember why I came here. "I'm looking for Archer. You haven't seen him, have you?"

He leans against the doorframe, his lips pressed into a harsh line. "You're not the only one." He grumbles.

"What do you mean?" Concern is etched on my features. I don't bother to conceal it.

He rolls his eyes, tapping his foot on the floorboards. He can't like my presence here very much. I'm glad to know the feeling is mutual. "I haven't seen him since Friday." He shrugs nonchalantly.

My eyes widen, panic rising in my chest. "Do you have any idea where he could be?"

"How should I know?"