Chapter 17

Lexi

“Come on Nickolas! Just tell me which one looks better!” I stood in front of my mirror, trying on different hats.

Summer had ended and it was my first day back at school. I haven’t been in school for about four months, the same amount of time since I had seen anyone from the pack. That is some serious loneliness; but Nickolas was always there.

Since I found out my true identity, I have refused to get anywhere near my aunt and uncle. Every other day Nickolas was mind linked to let him know they were outside the Alpha house, waiting to speak to me. I always told him to turn them away.

Nickolas seemed fine with the way I was treating them; he was beyond furious that anyone tried to lower my status. He kept his relationship with my Beta uncle strictly professional. I did speak to Liam whenever he came over, but Nickolas still stayed in the same room.

But since that night I found out the truth our friendship has soared. Sure, he was still a crazy, older man, but he made me laugh and helped me through that awful time period. 

It took me forever to convince Nickolas to allow me back at school but he finally did it. Of course the only downside was that he demanded to be by my side every single day. He would be in my classes and have lunch with me; he’d pretty much be stalking me. 

The good news is that during the homecoming celebration that was hosted at the school and the entire pack was allowed to join he would be formally announcing me as his mate.

I was determined to sneak away from him that night, get lost in the large crowds.

“I don’t really care.” He’s been irritated since we woke up.

“A true friend would tell me their real opinion.” I scowled at him. We were best friends in his mind. 

He hasn’t spoken to me about marking, mating or pups the entire time I’ve been here, which I was grateful for. 

I still slept in his bed every night, in his arms. He very rarely tried to kiss me, keeping himself restrained with hugs. But he always offered advice to me and continued to train me. He really was a great friend.

“How about no hat? Your hair is too pretty to cover up.” He shrugs. I toss both hats to the floor and grab my backpack. 

“Come on! We’ll be late on the first day of school!”

I sprint down the stairs and to his car; it was part of the agreement that we would go in his car. Not that I minded, his car was amazing. He entered the car seconds behind me and started the engine.

At the school I received my schedule. Nickolas asked for another copy from my teacher.

I walked straight down the hallway, keeping my eyes open for Aaron. Most of the students stopped whatever they were doing and stared at Nickolas, surprised to see the Alpha at a high school.