Chapter 26

Nickolas

My wolf has been howling non-stop ever since Lexi took my surname. Technically she won’t have it until we mate, but her saying that indicates she plans to do so. It indicates she wants to be my mate and Alfa of this pack. And duties of an Alfa include bearing an heir for me.

Lexi was upstairs with Serenity, the two immediately liked each other, to Liam’s relief. They were unpacking Serenity’s suitcases. Lexi had fallen in love with the little chameleon she had, and Serenity loves our three doves. 

“So, you marked her.” Liam drains out.

“You marked her.” Serenity was already wearing Liam’s mark on her neck.

“Serenity is two years older than Lexi.”

“She’s almost 17, it’s more like 18 months older.” I counter.

“I just want her to be happy. I still see her as my sister.” Liam sighs.

“She seems more than happy to be with me.” I’m getting annoyed.

“Has she told you about something that happened with her?” Liam asks quietly.

“Yes, she has.” I refer to that night. But she told me she never told anyone except Aaron and I.

“She won’t tell me anything. I know something happened to her when she was younger, I can tell, but she won’t talk to me about it.” His eyes are sad.

“She’s my mate. I’ll look after her, her entire life.”

“Thank you for letting Serenity live here with me.”

“She’s your mate. No one should keep mates separated.” My statement has double meaning.

“I’m glad the two are getting along, I was worried they would hate each other.” He changes the subject.

“I was worried Lexi would get rid of her if she didn’t like her.” We both chuckle.

“I’m glad I have my mate with me. It was hard seeing you with Lexi for almost two years. It made me envious” Liam confesses. 

“But then again, you’re getting to mate before me.” 

Serenity

Lexi is such a sweet, loving girl. I actually think I’ll get along better with her than I did with my sister. Sapphire was really different from me and we tended to argue a lot. She’s been giving me the cold shoulder ever since Liam found me, but at least she was there to say good-bye.

“So you and my ex-brother.” She raises her eyebrow, acknowledging my mark.

“He did that the night before we left.” I explain.

“Wow. That was fast.” 

“I also see that you have one.” I point to her neck; a larger and deeper mark is burned into her skin.

“It took me almost two years to let him do it. Liam marked you after 6 days.”

“Lexi, you’re 16 years old. Nickolas has to understand that you’re younger than him. It can’t happen at a normal pace.”