Chapter 31

Aaron

“The doctor said John can travel.” The words leave my mouth and Nickolas immediately calls the other two wolves who would be traveling with us. It’s been a gruesome 144 hours since the disappearance of Lexi. Yes, I’ve been keeping track. And so has he. He’s been keeping track of the seconds. 

In other words, it’s been almost a week of hell for Nickolas. And he wanted nothing but Lexi. The entire pack had sensed his desperation for her. It was clearly evident that our female Alpha was missing, and it showed in his behavior. He completely ignored any and all general pack business and hasn’t had a single night of sleep without her.

“C’mon. We’re leaving.” He exits the pack house; the car has been loaded ready to go four days ago. John’s healing process was slow, partially because the wounds were deep and that his wolf was weakened with the drugs we gave him. 

Nickolas is already in his car waiting for us. Liliom is in the car now, but she’s having a mild dosage of hallucinogen, just enough to weaken her wolf; we can’t let her link with Matteo and come up with some sort of plan. 

I help John get out of the hospital bed and support him to the car. He, like Liliom, is unable to use his wolf. Nickolas doesn’t acknowledge him, but speeds out of the territory, towards the airport.

Lexi

“If you want her so badly, why don’t you take me there to switch?” I feel beyond tired, but I can’t stand just waiting. I don’t even know how many days I’ve been here.

“Your territory is well known to your pack; this territory has treacherous trails and is easy

 to defend. I know he’s coming. He’s coming for you. And to get you, he better have Liliom.”

Nickolas

We’re forced to wait in line with humans. Pathetic humans. Humans who have to check everything and force us to wait in line. Wait to park, wait to enter, wait at the check in, wait for security, wait for baggage, all this tedious waiting. 

We’re lucky this is a national flight, as we don’t have John or Liliom’s passports. But we’re getting weird looks from the security and workers. We have a foreign woman with us, an injured man, and a single suitcase containing some clothes; we look pretty suspicious.

It takes forever to get to our seats on the plane. We constantly keep watch over every single thing Liliom does, but she’s half asleep the entire time. John is falling in and out of consciousness and the people around us seem very uncomfortable. Well, I’m uncomfortable without my wife. 

I was surprised to learn that Liliom was Matteo’s mate; usually mates can at least speak the same language. I wonder how he came across her as packs are small in Hungary. From what I could tell, neither of them cared and loved each other. And they were mated. 

Matteo being mated gave me some amount of ease; he wouldn’t think about touching Lexi, as the only woman he’ll ever want is his mate. But that doesn’t mean he’ll let others touch her.