Chapter 8

Nickolas

My phone vibrating on the nightstand wakes me up in the early morning. I smile down at Lexi who has her back to my side, snuggling into a pillow. That was the one thing about mates she couldn't deny; we absolutely love touching each other when sleeping. 

I slowly move my arm and grab my phone before unlocking it.

"Hello?"

"Alpha, sorry to disturb you, but Aaron Rons is here and says he needs to speak with you immediately." Aaron? What could he possibly need  to tell me? We already cleared up the fact that Lexi would be staying with me. 

"Let me speak to him." I told whoever was on the phone. I hear shuffling sounds before I hear his voice.

"I know you probably don't want me anywhere near your or Lexi, but trust me, I'm trying to help." He didn't let me speak yet.

"How can you help? What makes you think I even need your help?" I whispered.

"Did Lexi tell you about a major event in her life?" 

I don't reply. 

"She didn't tell you about that night, did she?"

"How the hell do you know?" I whispered angrily. Why does he know, but I don't?

"I'd rather talk to you in person so you don't wake Lexi." I turned off my phone and carefully slid out of bed. Lexi shifted a little before signing in content. 

I leave the bedroom after tossing some clothes on and make my way to the first floor. Another wolf points me to the office and see Aaron sitting next to the desk. I shut the door behind me and sit behind the desk.

"Aaron." I greet.

"Nickolas." He nods.

"Well?" 

"Don't make Lexi tell you what happened." 

"Why not?"
"You don't need to know."

"She's my mate, I deserve to know." 

"She has a right to tell you when she's ready."

"I don't care. She told you, I need to know."

"You need to hear it directly from her."

"She said she'd never tell me."

"She will, one day. When she trusts you."

I groan and throw my head to my hands.

"Now do you want my help or not?" he asks.

I growl a little before nodding.

"How is she acting with you?"
"She has major mood swings, whenever we have a moment, she cuts herself off."

"She doesn't want to trust you, but she's already starting."

"But, whenever I can make her smile, I feel like I've completed a huge accomplishment. That smile, it makes me want to keep her smiling forever." I confess.

"Whenever she's happy, do whatever you can to keep her that way. Even if it's crazy or stupid, she isn't truly happy enough." 

"I already planned on doing that. She seemed to enjoy our shopping spree." I smile remembering her spirited way of shopping.

"Did she try on everything in the store?" Aaron smirks.

"Just about." I smile, shaking my head.

"I think that might be the only girly thing about her-"

"Clothes and hair, other than that, nothing." I finish his sentence.