protective spells and landings

October 18, 1976
4:31 pm
Hogwarts Library

From the second he suggested the bet to the other Marauders, Remus realized he had made a mistake. He hadn't thought they would take the suggestion seriously, but it was too late.

He was completely incapable of stopping James and Peter, though, as they carried around a small slip of parchment around with them with an ever growing list of galleons and names of students and professors alike.

Potter and Pettigrew came around the corner to where Remus and Sirius were studying for a Herbology pop quiz they had been warned about by some Hufflepuffs with wide grins on their faces that made Sirius's eyes narrow in annoyance.

"We have officially collected thirty-eight signatures, even larger than the Lily Potter bet," James declared with pride as he slid the parchment in front of Sirius. "Congratulations."

Sirius was furious, and Remus felt an overwhelming sense of guilt again.

"This is not funny, James!" he said angrily, forgetting his Herbology notes all together as he stood up. "I didn't give you permission to do this!"

"The Lily Potter bet was your idea," James said back, rolling his hazel eyes and still not sensing the real issue here. "You can't get mad at me when I do the same, it's hypocritical!"

"Oh, he uses big words now," Sirius snapped with a raised black eyebrow. "Give me that parchment."

James snatched it off the table and clutched it defensively against his chest as though it was his first born child with a theatrical accusatory expression.

"I'm not playing these games with you," Sirius said, now in a much more low tone that he was trying to use to get James to listen to him and so that Pince wouldn't storm over to the L section they were in. "Give me it."

"Why?" James asked, rereading the list again with an amused expression.

"Because it's my damn life!" Sirius shouted, his blood boiling as he walked towards James on the aisle. "You have no right."

"It's just a joke," James said back. "Calm down."

There was nothing Potter could have said more to make his best mate even more angry.

"Anneliese is not a joke," he spat coldly, plucking the parchment from James's hands. "So stop acting like this before I hex you."

"Gemino," James said quickly, and a parchment identical to the one Sirius was holding appeared in his hand. "Excellent, now we both have a copy."

"What if she finds it?" Sirius shouted. "Then what?!"

"Then she will," James replied, still not caring about his frustration. "Lily's seen the other bet. What's the harm if A does too?"

"Callaway is different from Lily," Sirius said firmly. "She has a much shorter temper, and she'll confront me and never speak to me again in a second. It's honestly a miracle that she hasn't seen it yet with the amount of people you've been off blabbing to!"

"It was Moony's idea!" James shrieked, pointing to Remus. "Blame him!"

"I agree with Sirius!" Remus cried, not going to be the scapegoat for Potter. "I shouldn't have said it. It was at like one in the morning, I wasn't thinking clearly! This is going to destroy the minuscule-"

Sirius had been following him until minuscule.

"Fine, Pads, the large bond between A and Sirius that neither of them want to admit!" Remus corrected himself, and Sirius relaxed. "This is going to fuck something up for a laugh James, just destroy the damn paper and tell people to forget about it!"