shirts and shouts

November 3, 1976
8:53 pm
Gryffindor Common Room

"Why did no one tell me that it was his birthday until there are literally seven minutes until the party?" Anneliese shrieked, looking furiously at the Marauders.

"Sirius told us not to tell you," Remus said with a simple shrug. "So we didn't."

Anneliese turned furiously to Black, who was looking very hard to be mad at the moment.

He was wearing a dark ink colored shirt that had one too many buttons undone, along with a silver dog tag around his neck that the other boys seem to find very amusing for some reason that she couldn't figure out.

And from the look on his face, he knew he looked good.

"Why did you not want to tell me?" she cried, looking at him with narrowed dark blue eyes. "I would have gotten you something!"

"I didn't want you to go through the trouble," Sirius shrugged casually. "Plenty of people will be getting me things."

"And I don't have anything to wear," Anneliese groaned, holding her head in one palm. "Add that to the list of things that are stressing me out right now that you have caused."

Sirius just shrugged again, running a hand through his hair.

"I'm sure you'll look good in whatever you choose."

Anneliese's eyes widened, opened her mouth to say something, shut it, and then stormed off to the stairs, already yelling something to Lily about either what she was going to wear or how annoying Sirius was being; her accent was too pronounced when she was annoyed for them to be certain.

"I think you just need to tell her that you fancy her," James declared once she was out of earshot. "You smelled her in your amortentia, so don't even try to deny it."

"And it's your birthday," Peter added on. "So it'll be good luck or something to tell her tonight, right?"

Sirius looked between his friends nervously, rolling his neck.

"I dunno.." he trailed off, alarmed at his lack of confidence that was usually too present. "Maybe I should just wait until I'm sure that she does too."

"Boring," James declared, wrapping an arm around his friend's shoulder as they started to walk towards the place they had given all of the students invited instructions to summon the Room of  Requirement. "Risk something."

"There's a difference between being reckless and taking a risk," Remus interrupted wisely. "It was much shorter of a time ago then you would like to think when you two were yelling each other's heads off."

"So you think that she doesn't like me?" Sirius asked with confusion, his opinion easily molded by his friends at the moment. "You're the one who made that comment in the library."

"You have the ability of creating sexual tension with anyone," James butted in before Lupin could reply. "Just saying."

"You guys are giving me such mixed signals right now," Sirius sighed as they stepped into the already crowded room. "So do you think I should or not?"

"I think you should just stick to your gut," Remus said truthfully. "And you don't want to regret not trying and get upset because you wasted an opportunity."

"Okay then, the decision has been made and it is all your guy's fault if it goes wrong," Black said finally before any of them could protest, doing a brief scan of the crowd. "Now I just have to get the timing right."

"Definitely don't do it at the beginning," James started them off, still having his arm around Sirius's shoulder as he steered them aimlessly around the room. "You don't want your whole night spoiled if it doesn't go well."