flashcards and paranoia

tw #1 - mentions of self harm/ suicide / suicidal thoughts
tw # 2 - violence (sexual violence, severe pain/gore, and parental abuse)

^that sounds a lot worse than it is, i promise. i just kinda over tw them just in case if that makes any sense.

December 25, 1977
5:59 pm
The Burrow

Anneliese bit the end of her pencil as she tried to remember the husband of a young woman named Bellatrix Lestrange. She already had some about her written down, and she squinted to read them again in hopes that the repetition would spark some memory.

Druella and Cygnus Black - parents, Narcissa Black - sister, Pollux and Irma Black - grandparents, her wide handwriting listed. Husband - ?

Anneliese was starting to think that she would know the pureblood family tree better than Sirius's mother herself by the time the ball arrived. Which was in two hours.

There was an enormous pile of flashcards that Andromeda had insisted on her making with pictures and relationships of every single person who would be attending the ball. If she was going to be Narcissa, she had to know everyone as well as the girl herself.

Anneliese pulled the cigarette that she had tucked behind her ear and took in a long draw once it was lit.

The attic was the only place in the Burrow she was permitted by Molly to smoke, and even then only if the window was open. As a result, Callaway had about six blankets around her to keep herself warm as the cold night air gusted in.

"It started with an R," she muttered to herself. "Shit, I can't forget my sister's husband."

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," she called back, and Andromeda walked in. "Oh hey, what's up?"

"It's time for you to get ready," she said. "And this is going to be rather painful, so I would recommend bracing yourself."

Anneliese's heart dropped at how soon and sudden this announcement seemed. How was it that she had been at the Burrow for three weeks already? Where had all the time gone, all the time to prepare?

"Why do you say that?" Callaway asked as she pushed away those nerves for her own good, then saw the black corset tucked under Andromeda's arm and understood. "Oh. I was wondering why you told me not to eat at all today. I'm starving, by the way."

"Yes, I know dearest," Andromeda said empathetically. "It's just one day, I promise. And remember while you're there, it's tiny, delicate bites if anything at all."

"What's Bellatrix's husband's name?" Anneliese asked, taking one last glance at her flashcards and pencil. "Wait, wait- Rodolphus. That's it. Okay, I have everyone down and memorized. I know the exact level of incest in the room. It'll be great."

"And what about the map?" Andromeda prompted as she then brought in the actual dress from where it was propped up on the banister. "You know all the escape routes and where everything is?"

"Rosier Manor is nearly as big as Hogwarts, I swear," Callaway replied. "I didn't think it was possible for a place to have like eight gardens. But yes, I have the entire place mapped out. Probably know it better than everyone but the Rosiers themselves."

"Good," Andromeda nodded as Anneliese took off the t-shirt she was wearing so her torso was just covered by the same bra she had worn at the Yule Ball, the one Andy said would be the best for the corset as well.

"You know, the final N.E.W.T.s are gonna seem like nothing after how much memorization this was," Callaway said, and Andromeda laughed dryly. "Really. It's learning an entire culture in less than a month."