intense games and undercover invesitgation

March 19, 1979
3:56 pm
Hogwarts

"I'M NOT JOKING!" Lucius shouted, and McGonagall raised an eyebrow. "A DOG ATE MY BLOODY HOMEWORK! IT RAN UP TO ME, BIT THE PARCHMENT AWAY FROM MY HANDS, AND THEN RAN AWAY! AND IT BIT ME! LOOK!"

Malfoy held up his bandaged hand, waving it in the professor's face furiously.

Sirius leaned back in his chair, kicking his feet up on the desk and twirling a quill across his knuckles with a smirk as he watched the scene unfold.

"I hate to break it to you, mate, but that excuse has been used for decades and never once worked," he said with a lazy, relaxed stare. "Unless you're seeing things, which I suppose is also entirely possible."

"I'm not seeing things," Lucius snapped, and the class snickered. "I know what I saw."

Sirius raised a brow and exchanged a glance with James, who was smirking as well.

Snape had received a break in having his life made into hell.

Instead of Potter channeling his angry energy into secretly and methodically tormenting Severus behind Lily's back, James had told Sirius what Lucius had done to Anneliese and forged a two man task force to make Malfoy pay for every second that they possibly could.

And it was working satisfyingly well.

"You're causing a scene, Mr. Malfoy," McGonagall said, corners of her mouth twitching up in amusement and shooing Lucius back to his seat. "You will have a zero marked for that essay. Make it up by studying for the next assessment in time so you don't have to come up with any more ridiculous excuses."

Potter and Black subtly fist bumped across the aisle.

These acts were also a good outlet for the constant infuritantion coursing through Sirius's veins on account of Regulus. Even though Black had restored to his normal casually arrogant and joking self on the exterior, deep down he was still devastated.

The potion Anneliese and James had found that first day turned out to be the exact cure for Regulus, but it wasn't as simple as that.

The brewing time itself was around two months, and some of the ingredients were so rare that even Slughorn had difficulty recalling where to find them and how much they would cost them to aquire.

Eventually, the conclusion had been drawn that Sprout would take on growing their own components, which just slowed down the process even further than it already was.

Sirius had nearly lost it when he heard how long one of the growth cycles would take, and Anneliese had to pull him aside and talk to him for a solid forty five minutes so that he wouldn't blow up the greenhouses themselves out of anger.

The fury of not being able to protect Regulus was still filling him, the bitterness of not knowing who had done this even sharper.

But all that hurt sure felt a lot better when Malfoy was looking so idiotic.

Anneliese bit the inside of her cheek to prevent herself from laughing and shook her head in disbelief. It didn't take a genius to figure out this new targeting of Lucius had everything to do with what she told James, which he had then told Sirius.

She usually wasn't one for petty revenge, but it was entertainment as well at this point.

Callaway bit on the end of the sugar quill she was using, a tangy sweetness dancing across her taste buds as she glanced over to Sirius, who was already looking at her and wasn't making any effort whatsoever to conceal it.