him and her

i would highly recommend "i wanted to leave" by syml for the last part of this chapter <3

February 1, 1980
12:17 am
London

"Get away from each other, you two," Sirius grinned, pushing apart Remus and Leo's sloppy kiss that they were somehow engaging in while stumbling across the damp cobblestone. "We'll never make it to where we parked at this rate."

"Says the man who just had sex with his girlfriend in the middle of the most expensive dinner I've ever had," Lupin hiccuped, filter completely gone with his wine intake. "You cannot be calling a simple kiss offensive with that on your record."

"Look at James and A," Leo smiled much more broadly than normal, mind not paying much attention to the current topic.

Anderson gripped his hands around both of their cheeks, turning them to look at Potter and Callaway talking to one another underneath the streetlight. All three of them sobered up a bit, confused at why they weren't permitted to be involved in this obviously very intense discussion.

"Now that's just rude," Sirius declared, straightening himself as Anneliese pulled open the car door. "They better not leave without us-"

The world seared white.

Senses of orientation were yanked away, the direction to heaven or hell not even determined by the force of gravity that had been stripped from the atmosphere he was falling through. He couldn't hear anything beyond the pounding of his own heart reverberating violently in his ears.

The light faded, bokeh splotches sharpening into the outline of flames, of two limp bodies.

Those two limp bodies sharpened into distinctive characteristics, panic taking over Black's body with an iron grip around his limbs before his brain could catch up to what had just happened.

Spikes of ebony strands, a gleam of tied back gold. Brown hands, tan shoulders. A dark yellow suit, an even darker green silk dress. Broad shoulders and slender forearms. Equally covered in cinders and blood from shards of metal slicing open their clothing and skin.

The two most important people in his life looked lifeless.

Sirius scrambled forward, feet moving before his torso was fully righted. He pulled his shirt over his mouth and managed to inhale smoke anyway. He turned Anneliese over from her lying on her side, his palm instantly covered in a clear film of vermillion from a slash in her hip.

His thumb went to her wrist, finding a slow but steady pulse.

Thin, intrusive stabs of smoke poked Black's eyes like needles as he crawled across the sidewalk, glass scrubbing into his flesh as he violently coughed into his sooty hands. He did the same check on James, and was relieved to discover that both of them were still breathing.

For how much longer, he had no idea.

Sirius didn't have to call out for help before it came to them like a magnet to steel. Pain seemed to draw all of them in like gravity pulled most people to the floor.

Marlene, Peter, Dorcas, Lily, Alice, and Frank had been walking significantly far behind the other five, and hadn't received any damage from the explosion besides a shock of heat shattering the rigid cold of the night.

Unlike most, perhaps more logical, people would, the Gryffindors started sprinting towards the fire the second they saw the plumes of blazing incandescence envelop their friends.

Peter, who had intentionally been even farther behind the pack with the knowledge that the explosion was going to happen, had to sprint harder than the rest of his friends to get to James and Anneliese.