candles and cloaks

January 10, 1977
12:01 am
Gryffindor Boys Dormitories

The space on the crimson carpet where moonlight or the shining of the stars would usually be was only occupied by darkness on this particular night, showing how the clouds were so thickly blocking the sky so that the only thing lighting up the room was a meager bit of orange seeping from under the thin line underneath the mahogany door.

Sirius had his back facing that one bit of light as he heard rustling from three of the four beds around him, no doubt his friends pulling on socks and James grabbing his cloak to go visit Anneliese now that it was midnight.

He silently did want to go and see her, but the fear that she would turn him away and hurt him was more prominent than the longing he felt.

"So are you coming?" James asked in a loud tone to his friend's back. "Sirius?"

Black didn't respond as he let his chest rise and fall minutely as if he was sleeping.

James had seen this act many times before at Potter Manor when Sirius had first arrived, so used to using sleep as a way to escape his parents and then to escape talking about what had happened to him with the Potters.

"Alright," Potter said with a click shut of the door as he exited the room along with Remus and Peter, knowing very well that Sirius was wide awake and had been all night.

"Where's Sirius?" Lily asked as soon as they stepped into the common room, glancing behind them to see if he was coming. "Asleep?"

"Asleep my ass," James grumbled in response, pulling out the cloak. "Just stubborn."

"How are we all going to fit?" Remus groaned, looking at the five of them standing there. "We're not in our fifth year anymore, and I know I'm way taller."

"I can just go back," Peter volunteered quickly. "I'm really tired anyways, and there's less house points off if you get caught, right?"

"Yea, I guess," James said with a genuinely concerned expression at his friend. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Just tired, and-," Peter replied, a yawn cutting through his words. "That's all."

"I can just see her in the morning as well," Marlene added on. "Dorcas is already angry with me for leaving, we weren't getting much sleep either if you get what I mean-"

"Okay!" James cut her off loudly. "That leaves me, Moony, and Evans. Should work, right?"

"It better," Lily grumbled as she slid underneath the cloak. "The last thing that Gryffindor needs is more lost house points after forfeiting the match, we had to obviously, but still- that was my foot, Potter!"

"Right, sorry," James said with a small smile. "You're gorgeous when you're mad, you know."

Evans was silently glad that she had her back to him so that Potter couldn't see her blush.

"So what are we going to do if Pomfrey is still there?" Remus whispered as they finally arrived in front of the large wooden doors to enter the hospital wing. "Besides get chased out like a bunch of rats, that is."

"Cross our fingers and hope that she's not in too angry of a mood from whoever cursed that bludger," Lily replied. "Otherwise, we're screwed."

James was about to open the door, but the redhead quickly cut in front of him again, blocking the two boy's entrance to the room.

"Wait, let me go in first," she instructed firmly. "In case she's just wearing a bra or something."

"Oh, right, sorry," Remus muttered, color instantly flooding his cheeks. "Just let us know when we can come in."