sharp comments and alike abandonment

February 9, 1977
11:03 am
Dumbledore's Office

There were very few times that the Marauders had actually been sent to Dumbledore because of a prank. The first line of defense against the Gryffindors was always house points taken, then detentions assigned, a visit to McGonagall next, and then finally the headmaster if necessary.

So when the four boys saw Anneliese approached in the library by their Transfiguration professor with words of the headmaster's office, they wondered what the hell she had done to get in that level of trouble.

Nothing that day had occurred with Peeves, and no noticeable house points had been taken.

"Wait, what did I do?" Callaway questioned from the shelf away, asking herself the same question as the boys. "When Peeves plastered your room walls with dried frogs, I didn't tell him to do that, I promise-"

"No, Miss Callaway, this is about much more serious matters," McGonagall cut her off tersely. "I think we both know the issue that is going to be present in the next few months, so we might as well discuss it already to sort things up."

There was a deep sigh and a few more words exchanged under breaths until a decision none of them could hear was made.

James was already pulling the cloak from his bag as they heard two pairs of footsteps walking away and out of the double oak doors.

"James, don't," Sirius said quickly. "It's none of your business."

"Do you not think what I think?" Potter retorted. "Much more serious matters? What if this has something to do with the spells she's made? Then we can find a way to stop it. There's just nothing else that it could be about, come on mate."

Remus gave the two boys a very stern look.

"That cloak is not meant for spying," Lupin told them firmly. "You're lucky that you haven't heard or seen something that you can't erase already. Some things are said in private for a reason. You might be scared of what you find."

"Well then I guess it'll just be our fault if we hear something so horrible," Sirius drawled sarcastically, siding with James's argument. "Peter, are you coming?"

"Uhm, I don't want to hear something scary like Remus said," he mumbled with shame at his own cowardice, even if it was mild. "I'm sorry."

"Alright then," James said shortly, sliding the cloak over himself and then Sirius. "See you in a few, Pete. And Moony, we'll be sure to tell you if we hear something life changing that we'll never be able to forget or unhear."

Remus just crossed his arms and shook his head slowly as he heard the doors open and close again a few seconds later by two invisible boys.

"This is not going to end well."

Meanwhile, James and Sirius had gotten incredibly lucky that they both had very long legs compared to the people they were following, and caught up to the student and professor quickly.

"Fizzing Whizbee," McGonagall said tightly, and then gestured for Anneliese to walk in as her voice softened. "I hope this works out, my dear."

Potter and Black exchanged a confused glance at Minnie's gentle tone and vocabulary that was very different than someone would use if they were getting their student in trouble.

They had to snap out of it rapidly to slide into the gap of the door left behind and make a silent entrance, but the confusion was still there.

"Good morning, Miss Callaway," Dumbledore said, widely gesturing his arm to the chair in front of his desk. "Please, sit."