spilled ink and love letters

February 15, 1977
8:09 pm
Queenie's Apartment

The breeze flowing in from the open window made Callaway freezing cold, but Queenie liked for the sounds of the city to travel inside with her, so Anneliese just had to deal with it with lots of blankets.

The past days had been pure torment of endless waiting.

The two week deadline for when she had to find a new school had already decreased by five days, and every second that passed without an answer just made her more and more sure that her life at Hogwarts was coming to an end.

Anneliese was starting to regret her abrupt departure.

I could have at least said goodbye to James and Lily and Remus and-

She cut her own thoughts off, a sob shaking through her body as she sank down onto the silky pink comforter of the queen bed in Goldstein's spare room.

The sickening pit in her stomach simply wasn't shaking, no matter how many times Queenie told her that just crying it out would always help. Crumpling down onto the mattress fully, Anneliese pressed her cheek to the cool fabric, the feeling a harsh contrast to her burning skin.

If she had thought seeing Sirius everyday without being able to talk to him out of her own silent rules was bad, then not seeing him at all was a whole different nightmare she had never anticipated.

She missed everything about him.

She missed the way that he got that mischievous look in his silver eyes when he or the Marauders were about to do something, how he would always know how to make any given student laugh if we wanted to.

Anneliese wished to hear his laugh again, that sound that would fill her up with butterflies and warmth from a few inches or the entire Potion's dungeon away.

Curling her knees into her chest, she thought of the way he would look at her with that combination of understanding and hope and longing all rolled into one deep gaze that never failed to make her melt, even if it was only on the inside and she didn't know what the sensation was when she had first felt it.

She thought of how they had both been disowned by their parents, how they both knew how to treat the other's weaknesses having been there themself.

But then she thought of how she hurt him.

How again and again, even through the good, they would both always find ways to be torn apart either by others or themselves.

How they made each other so angry like no one else could.

Anneliese used to think that love was something that was beautiful and perfect and easy and would always end in a happily ever after the second the two main characters confessed their love for one another.

Now she knew she was wrong.

Slowly standing up, Callaway realized what she had to do.

As she pulled out a piece of parchment, pot of ink, and quill, Anneliese sighed in deeply. She dipped the copper tip of the quill into the dark blue ink and brought it to the parchment.

Her decision was made.

Headmistress Sayre,

I know that-

The parchment was ruined by the bottle of ink she was using getting knocked over and splattering all over the beginning of what would have been a life changing letter with the gentle clink of glass against wood.

Instead, another one had just been sent through her window by a black owl.

Anneliese stared down at the envelope sitting on the desk in front of her, not knowing if she even wanted to touch it or not. The amount of weight she knew that it carried was immeasurable, if she was really receiving it and not in one of the dreams that had filled these past nights.