The RAT is SIRIUSLY in the Ministry?

It was the morning after the Order meeting. Minnie had suggested the other members of the Order to inform the children just in case. Arthur and Sirius, closely watched by Molly, had told them everything about Regulus. Well, Arthur had told them, Sirius just happened to be there too and had added some absolutely unnecessary information if you ask Molly.

Right now they were peacefully continuing eating their breakfast when an old female black owl with onyx eyes flew into the room. Sirius immediately recognized her as Nix, his brother's first and favorite owl, who disappeared a few days before Regulus, right after dropping a letter for him. She landed gratefully between the plates with food and just now Sirius noticed the black envelope (trust his brother to be strange) with white colored wax seal with a crown. He definitely loves to be symbolic, it's not like 'Regulus' means 'little prince'. Stop being sarcastic and open the envelope, Sirius!

"What's this?" asked Ginny.

"A letter from my brother. Don't touch it, please."

Sirius tried to get the letter from Nix, but the bloody owl didn't let go of it. Typical Nix, why would I think she could have changed after a few years? Could she just give him the letter without him asking her politely? Well, Reggie has always been the one for manners, unless you ask her politely you aren't going to get his letter.

"How do you know it's from him?" Harry seemed intrigued.

"Well, this is his owl and nobody except him would put exactly this wax seal."

"Oh, okay. Are you going to open it?"

"Yes."

He almost growled while he was trying to get the envelope. Fred and George found it somehow funny.

"Nix!"

The owl shook her head staring at him with a scowl. The twins started snickering.

"Nix."

He said trying to sound treating. The owl didn't move at all, just continued staring at him. Hermione and Ginny giggled.

He sighed.

"Nix, could you give me the letter?"

She didn't.

"Please."

He added hopefully. She gave him approving nod and let him to get the envelope. That was the moment when everyone else in the room started laughing. Bloody owl! Could she not embarrass him in public? She is Regulus'. What do you expect?

He opened the envelope and took out the piece of black paper out. There was written only 'Happy late birthday. ~R.A.B.'

What the hell?!?!!!! Why would Reggie write him that of all the things he could? Don't be surprised. He usually write to you about something before this something happened.

Yes, the last time Regulus wrote to him (before 15 years) the letter came right after the end of one Order meeting. Nix made everyone laughing with her attitude and the letter was just 'Soon mother will tell you that I am dead. I may have a mark on my left arm, but I promise to don't stop fight till my last breath. Not everything that people say about me is true, brother. And just for you to know I haven't forgiven you.~R.A.B.'.

Yes, he sent him a letter telling him how he will die. Well, technically he wrote 'mother will tell you' and after that he wrote you to don't trust everything people say about him, he didn't wrote he was going to die. He actually wrote you 'Mother is going to tell you I died, but don't trust her'. Reckless idiot, why didn't he come to just tell me?

He reread the message. It was simple, he didn't saw any lollypops. Great, a late birthday present... What could be? He didn't send anything else! Something unexpected. You have to wait.

He didn't understand till the evening when Arthur and Minnie came with the evening paper grinning from ear to ear. He was the only one to greet them, Molly had everybody else to clean the ball room. Arthur just showed the paper into Sirius' face, which was normally considered as rude, but given the articles on the front page—not so much. The titles were 'He-who-must-not-be-named is back!', 'Do we know the truth behind Sirius Black?', 'Peter Pettigrew–a Death-Eater!'.

He scanned the articles. Basically, they had put the rat under veritaserum (because old part in the law that obliged the Ministry to drug with veritaserum every witch or wizard who is officially considered for dead before questioning) and he had told them everything—from the fact he was animagus to the events in the end of the school year. The Ministry had asked for Sirius to come to be questioned too and (probably) officially recognized as innocent.

"But—how?"

"Pettigrew was found in the auror department and he was naturally questioned. He said everything under the potion. Fudge will be in for it tomorrow. Kingsley, Tonks and the other aurors will probably work the whole night, they have to arrest the people that Pettigrew named as Death-Eaters. Dumbledore was called too. He told them about Barty Crouch Jr. Pettigrew is put in a big jar, they are waiting for you to turn up and so they can question you and probably Remus, after that he will be given the Kiss." Arthur explained at once. Minnie looked at him smiling and said.

"Nobody knows how he happened to be there. Even Albus. Do you know anything?"

Sirius recalled the letter from the morning. He hadn't told Dumbledore about it.

"I may have an idea." He took the letter out of his pocket and opened it. The morning he was able to read only 'Happy late birthday. ~R.A.B.', but now there was also 'P.S. Yes, I did something that Dumbledore couldn't. Don't thank me, I hate rats in general. Just take care of Kreacher, be nice to him and go scare some muggles who don't know you are innocent for me.'.

How typical of his brother, a hidden message.

Sirius showed the letter to Arthur and Minnie and explained how he got it. "I think it's a late birthday present!" He finished.

He was happy. His brother may have not forgiven him according to his letter from before 15 years, but he had made his day by giving Pettigrew to the Ministry. He had showed the world that Harry wasn't a liar and Sirius was innocent. He couldn't be happier unless Regulus turned up now and here, but you can't have everything. Sirius promised silently to himself to thank Regulus and give him as many hugs as he can. His brother deserve them!

Yay, happy chapter! The next chapter Regulus appears officially! What do you think?