two•him

I've met her before. That's Cassies younger sister. I can't get any emotion out of her, i mean she didn't cry, she looked quite sad for the people that did though. Sometimes she acts as if they knew her better, as if she was an absence in her life, which even I know is the opposite of the truth.

For as long as I knew Cassie, her sister was always in the package. They were practically tied at the hip. After high school, Cassie had to wait a year for her sister to graduate, but... she was deeply depressed that year. She drank like crazy and used told me it was nothing. I always knew it was something.

Cassie lied a lot.

Then the next year her younger sister was there, and man I'd never seen best friends quite like them. They were both just so happy to be around each other.

Although now that Cassie's gone she looks lost. She signs to Aaron, the guy standing next to her, that she's going to the lake. I know it's none of my business, but she needs someone. I can tell, because her eyes are a darker shade of brown than before. She's lost.

Before I step onto the creaky wood of the dock after following her, she stands at the edge and jumps off.

What the hell?

With no hesitation I jump in straight after her.

You see, it happens to be September and this water is fridged cold. Through the dark blue of the night I see her. Suddenly it's as if I'm in a movie. She's pale and unmoving, yet still so beautiful. I swim after her.
--
After I set her on the dock and she awoke. Her lips were a light blue and her eyes were still as dark as before. She didn't seem to want to speak to me at first.

"It would make me feel better if you changed." I tell her the honest truth. Never have I seen skin with less color or teeth moving so fast. I hand her my sweater, in response she nods and grabs it from my grip. She starts to take off her shirt and bra but I turn away. I refuse to be the guy that takes advantage of girls.

After a bit she sat next to me. Her hands curled underneath her legs and she dipped her toes into the water.

"You're American?" She's met me before, I dont know why she's asking.

"We've met..." I say awkwardly, staring down at the ripples in the water as her feet swirl around.

"Well-don't remember you, sorry... wait-maybe, you're Mikes brother right?" Oh yeah, that's right... she had a fling with my brother.

"Yeah, that's me." for the next minute or two the only sound I could hear was the wind whistling through the trees and the frogs singing in the background, then I built up the urge to ask, "Did you just have the sudden urge to jump into freezing cold water?"

"It was boring. Hey, listen, I'm going to take off... this place is a bummer." I can't help but frown. She's lying. Well I guess it came in their blood to lie about their feelings.

"Take off? It's for your sister?"

"Yeah. I know, but it's too much really. These people have issues they need to fix. I'm perfectly fine."

"I think we both know that's a lie."

She tries to stand up but her tiny legs start to shake. I did the only thing I could think of at the moment. I got up and stood in front of her, looking straight into her eyes, I suddenly engulfed her in a giant hug so that my arms were over her shoulders. My hands traced across her back and we stood like this for about six minutes. She even giggled for a short while, and boy it made me melt, because damn, everything this girl did was beautiful. After a while I decided to pull back. She was sniffling and wiping her nose on the sleeve of my sweater she was wearing.

I'd never seen anyone so beautiful. I just want to tell her.

I want to tell her about her cute button nose and her eyes that were now as gorgeous as gold.

"So uh... yeah I really should go..." She looked up, meeting my eyes.

"C'mon! Still? This is right, this is good- You should be here with everyone."

"I don't even know your name and you're already lecturing me."

"It's Eli." Seriously? We've met like 6 times.

"Elana."

"I know."

"Goodnight... thanks for uh well I don't know, letting me borrow your sweatshirt?"

"You mean for saving you from becoming ice?"

"You weren't doing me any favors with that one."

I hate that she can't see her life is precious.

Ever since the first time I saw her I couldn't imagine a life without her; a life without Elana would be hell.