Chapter 13: Ariella

Chapter 13 Ariella

            Mrs. Hill came over a little while later and helped me make dinner. Together, we made spaghetti; a dish full of noodles, red sauce, and meat. When we were done, Brittney and Natalie helped set the table while my brothers and Father picked up the papers. After dinner, Father and Robert were in charge of the dishes so the rest of us made our way to the couches to spend time together.

            I sat on the couch nearest to the fire with the books that Mrs. Hill gave me. Mother sat across from me with a bunch of papers, Dimitri sat on the couch to my left with his leg propped up, and Brittney and Natalie sat on the one on the right whispering to each other. Thomas was still sitting at the table leaning back in the seat, a content smile on his face. We sat like this for a little while. I was reading, Thomas was relaxed at the table, Dimitri was lying on the couch, Mother was looking over papers, and Brittney and Natalie were talking.

            "Ariella, come and sit with us." Natalie giggled as she patted the spot next to her. I started to stand up when Thomas appeared and collapsed on the couch next to me.

            "Nope, mine." He slipped his arm around my shoulders and grinned. I stared up at him and he chuckled. "What?"

            "You're weird."

            "Hey! She's learning." Brittney laughed.

            "Shush!" Thomas hissed and then leaned back down on the couch. "Should have sat with her when you had the chance."

            "Is Thomas causing problems again?" Father asked as he and Robert walked in from the kitchen.

            "Why does everyone assume I'm the culprit?" Thomas demanded.

            "You usually are." Mother smiled.

            "Now everyone's being mean to me!" Thomas shook his head and smiled. "At least Ariella likes me."

            "She was the one who called you weird, remember." Natalie laughed as his head dropped to his chest.

            I giggled at him. I could tell there was a smile on his face and that he was having almost as much fun as the others were. He was weird though, at least to me. He was always smiling and opening himself up to being teased by the others. Then, to add to it, he would play along with it. Seeing him like this, I would have never guessed about his past.

            "What are you two whispering about?" Thomas demanded and I jumped. I looked around in confusion until my eyes settled on Robert and Dimitri. Robert was leaning over the back of the couch and looked as if he was whispering in Dimitri's ear. The two of them nodded and then turned to us with a grin.

            "None of your business." Robert said as he walked away from us and down the hall.

            "What do you mean?"

            "Exactly what he said!" Dimitri laughed. "Are you deaf now too?"

            "They're planning something." Brittney stated.

            "Obviously." Natalie leaned forward and studied him. "But what?"

            "I'm crippled right now, what can I do?" Dimitri asked.

            "Alone, nothing. With Robert, everything." Mother interrupted as she looked at me. "I have a feeling it's about you, my dear. Just a warning."