Chapter 67: Alexander

"In all honesty, it's a miracle the number's aren't higher than they are." King Stephen sighed as he leaned forward in his seat, his hands encasing his face.

"The Hunters must not have been interested in killing everyone this time." Captain Mathews agreed, his fingers flipping through the pages, his eyes glancing at the names as he shuffled past. "The majority of them were the Trackers, a handful of the other Powers, and about twenty non-fighters."

"Still, a hundred and fifty dead from a surprise attack, we should be counting our blessings and celebrating the bitter-sweet victory." King Stephen shook his head before jumping out of his seat and slowly pacing around the Captain's office.

"There were still over five hundred who were injured." I reminded and he nodded.

"Aye, but Ariella is working on them, correct?"

"With the others in the hospital." Captain Mathews confirmed, placing the papers on the desk and leaning forward. "I questioned Ariella's strategy as she's leaving the Lieutenants injured, while Healing those-"

"Of lesser importance?" I offered, fighting back my grin when he snorted slightly.

"I was trying to find a nicer word for it, but yes, that fits what I was trying to say." He gave me a small smile before turning back to King Stephen. "She told me she doesn't care about their importance in the society or the amount of money."

"Only about the people who'll die first if she doesn't tend to them." I shrugged as I stepped forward, pressing my side against the desk.

"Well, at least we can say one thing about Ariella, she doesn't know how to judge people on their status." Kind Stephen chuckled darkly. "None the less, she's one girl, it'll take her weeks to handle all of those people."

"Perhaps not that long, but it will take her awhile." The Captain concluded as he leaned backwards. "The trick is to make sure this doesn't happen again."

"What, someone betraying us or no warning for when the Hunters come and attack?" The king demanded, his arms crossed in front of him as he stopped by the window.

"We can't say anything about the alarm since the guards were killed and I believe there was more to the story than that boy just being upset with Alexander being my apprentice." Captain Mathews explained, his eyes glancing between the two of us, almost as if he was urging us to add something.

"In all honesty, the attack was far to well staged for a mere boy to handle on his own." King Stephen sighed as he turned back towards us. "I believe we're looking at a manipulated boy who was under the control of someone else."

"So another traitor?" Captain Mathews challenged, his eyes darkening slightly in annoyance. "What kind of coward would use another to do his dirty work?"

"Sadly, there's many of those people out there." King Stephen reminded him as he walked forward, his fingers drumming on the desk. "The question is who would do it and what is their motive?"

"Like anyone would tell us about rumors of that extreme." Captain Mathews sighed as he glanced down at the papers. "However, we can't allow these people to die in vain. They deserve justice."

"We all do."

"If I may speak, Captain." I offered, my fists clenching in frustration. There were two things that no one had mentioned, two very important things that needed to be stated.

"You don't need permission to speak, Alexander. Just say whatever is on your mind." His hand waved in the air aimlessly as he leaned back in his chair. "Any bit of news you can offer may provide some light on this situation."