Chapter 46: Alexander

Chapter 46 Alexander

"I can't believe you beat her!" Nicoli said, again, for the fifth time, a cocky grin playing on his face. "That was a miracle."

"I caught her off guard, that's all." It wasn't a lie. The second she found out that I was her daughter's Drawer, her mind wasn't in the fight. She wasn't able to focus on it as well as she should have. That's the only reason that I won. If I was more careful, then she wouldn't have found out.

"You look like you screwed up."

"They're observant." I grumbled, my hands covering up my face and I sighed. First Thomas, then his mother, and now what. What will his father see that I don't want him to see? Groaning softly before straightening myself up, my gaze turned to him. The man was strong. His muscles and shoulders were huge, but well defined. Staring him in the eyes as we approached each other, I could see the experience dancing behind his eyes.

"Game's over." He snapped, his voice low and threatening as he held his sword point up. Glancing over at Ariella and her worry filled eyes, I knew that this wasn't going to end well, for either of us. Mrs. Mathews didn't mention it to her husband and I appreciated it. I couldn't hide behind being a Drawer, I wanted to earn their respect. Earn the right to be with her.

I had to do this.

"It was never a game." I told him, the truth behind the statement radiated in my voice and I heard him snort at the comment.

"It always was, boy." His eyes narrowed and he bent his knees, his shoulder's tensing as he waited.

"Begin!" The all too familiar voice shouted.

Within the blink of an eye, his eyes turned from dark blue to blood red and I knew I was screwed.

"Call on your Power, let's see who can win." A part of me wanted to fight him, to say no, but I knew it was hopeless. My eyes closed on their own and the Power merged into my body, the sounds, feelings, pain, and sight improved drastically. He sneered at me as both of his hands grasped onto the blade. "Let's go."

He charged me with pure hatred in his eyes. Within a second, he was right in front of me, his sword piercing my arm. Utter surprise filled my body as my gaze turned to the sword. Blood squirted out, staining my shirt and his blade. He was fast, too fast. There was no way I could last against him. A fresh wave of pain flooded my body as the Captain tore his sword out of my arm and swatting me towards the side. Skidding across the floor, my body crashed into the wall, my head colliding with a loud crack and darkness flittered in my eyes. Blood filled my mouth and dripped down my lips.

"Alex!" Ariella's voice exploded in my head, her voice was filled with fear. I wanted to reach out to her, to tell her it's going to be alright. This was for her, always for her.

Pushing myself up, I turned to face the Captain. My sword was too far away from me, there was nothing that I could use as a weapon. He stalked towards me, his sword ready to strike.

"Give up, boy." His hand gripped his sword tighter.

"I'd rather die."

"That can be arranged." The Captain snarled as he lifted his sword.

"No!" Ariella's voice shouted behind me and footsteps running towards us. The Captain's blade was already flying through the air and I watched in horror as she ran towards us. She was to close. She'd be hit too. I had to do something.

Spinning on my heel, I turned my back to the Captain and caught Ariella in my arms as the blade tore through my skin. Biting back the urge to scream, my knees gave out from beneath me and I collapsed to the ground.