Chapter 29: Alexander

Chapter 29 Alexander

"Come on, we need to get back to the others!" The blond girl shouted as we ran out of the house. Her hair flew behind her as our feet pounded on the street, the wooden and brick building flying by in a blur. The others followed close behind, panting softly. The blond glanced back at us; the blacks of her eyes were the contrast to the full white as she led the way.

We whipped around the corner and my eyes scanned the area. Bodies scattered the ground, blood spilling out, but some of them were still alive and moving, groaning, breathing. Others were still standing, doing their best to avoid stepping on the bodies, some even trying to move them. Hunters filled the streets; their faceless masks made them the obvious targets. Some of our warriors wore armor, but most of them went without, fighting to the best of their ability. Someone fell almost every second; some of them were dead before they landed while the majority would be left there to bleed to death.

Clenching my jaw, I yanked my sword from its sheath and watched a group of Hunters run towards the center of the battle, thirsty for blood. My eyes narrowed in frustration as the blond jammed her arm into my chest. Her eyes studied me for a moment before whipping around and faced the others. "Stay alive." Her voice was strong, powerful, but it couldn't hide the fear in her eyes. Everyone knew it was a possibility that their friends and loved ones could die in a battle, that was everyone's biggest fear.

 "We'll meet back here when this is over!" The black-haired fire girl shouted as she brandished her whip and darted off towards the fight, rushing past the blond.

We were all afraid that someone we knew and loved would die. But that's what happens during a war.

Taking a deep breath with my eyes closing slowly, I called on my Power, allowing it to become one. As it fused with my body, my skin grew more sensitive; the roughness of the clothes irritated the sensitivity, but nothing that I wasn't used to. This was why I trained. Getting used to the irritations, making it something that wouldn't distract me while fighting could very well be the meaning of success and defeat.

My grip on the sword tightened, clinging onto it as if it was my life. My eyes flew open and studied the battle around me. It was like everything had slowed down, that I could see the movements when they started and knew what I could do. My foot lifted slightly and then I was off. The sounds of my feet crashing into the ground were muffled by the heightened sounds of swords clashing and people grunting in pain.  

"Gahhhhhhh!" A voice shouted from my right, echoing in my ears. My head whipped around and I watched as a Hunter ran towards me, his sword high in the air. As his sword fell, mine rose up and a loud, clashing noise sounded in between us. All anyone could see were small, glint-like bulbs of light in the mask where the eyes should be.

"Die!" The voice belonged to a man, a faceless man. It was almost like I could feel him smirking, that he thought that he would win. A dark laugh came from the mask as he yanked the sword away and swung it at my legs.

Kicking off the ground with all my might, his sword whistled harmlessly underneath me. Lifting my sword above my head, I lashed downwards, his sword colliding with mine just as I expected it to. Allowing my sword to slide down his blade, slicing it across his gloved fingers, a scream tore from his lips as his sword fell from him, blood dripping down on it. A small cloth spot underneath his rib caught my attention and I knew what to do. With my sword in hand and a step closer, I jammed my sword upwards in the man's body. His body tensed, frozen in death as I slid my sword out of him, turning away as the sounds of the body crashing the ground echoed behind me.

That was my first for this battle and I had no idea how many I would have to kill to save our people. To save Ariella.

My jaw tensed as I remembered Ariella, locked away under the floor. She was probably terrified about what would happen, terrified that the people she loved and cared for would be killed.

Another Hunter ran forward, crossing his sword with mine. Our swords clashed in midair. My leg snapped up and slammed into the man's stomach, sending him flying backwards, his hands and feet flailing in the air before crashing head first into the ground. Dashing forward, my sword jammed its way into the mouth hole of the helmet, burying itself in the man's mouth.

"Child!" A voice shouted somewhere behind me and I whipped around in time to see a young girl push herself against the wall, her face stricken with terror. Yanking my sword out from the man, I pounded towards her, jumping over bodies and dodging swords. A figure jumped from the crowd and ran towards the girl, a Hunter on his tail.

Swearing under my breath, I ran towards them, my sword ready to strike. The figure stopped in front of the girl, scooping her up in his arms. The Hunter stopped behind them as he lifted his sword up in the air ready to stab the man in the back.

"Watch out!" I shouted, my voice carrying over the sound of the battle. The Hunter whipped around as I jumped behind him, his sword flying wildly. Ducking under his sword and stepping closer, almost face to face, I drove my sword into one of the soft spots of the armor, burying it as far into his body as I could.  Kicking him away as I yanked at my sword, my eyes lifted to the man I just saved and I found myself staring Thomas Mathews in the eyes.

His blood red eyes glared at me, in anger or annoyance, I wasn't sure. He nodded his head as he shifted the child to the other side and pulled out his sword.

"Get back to the battle, Streetwalker." He grunted before running off, irritation and anger rolling off of him.

A sigh escaped from my lips as I turned to the battle, my sword tilted up. This was going to be interesting. I saved the life of the Captain's son and now he thinks he is in my debt. Then again, all of the higher class people seem to think that if someone saves their lives, they're in debt. Swearing softly, I ran back towards the Hunters with a sense of dread filling every inch of my body.