Chapter 68: Ariella

Chapter 68: Ariella

"We've sorted out the people who developed an infection and we're in the midst of treating them." A young blond by the name of Abigail informed me, her cheeks flushing bright red as she spoke to me. "Once the infection goes away, they should be up for you to Heal, my lady."

"The issue is, more and more of them are developing infections. Some of them may not survive long enough." Shanae interrupted, her arms crossed in front of her as her fingers drummed against her upper arms. Her eyes turned towards me, questions swimming in her eyes.

"There's nothing I can do." I told her, "So long as the infection is there, it would be to dangerous to Heal them."

"It'd be trapping the infection inside the body." Isabella sighed, her eyes scanning over one of the many books that surrounded her. "According to every book, Healing an infection takes up way to much Power and is recommended against using that strategy."

"Well there has to be some trick that we can do!" Shanae exclaimed, her eyes bursting with irritation. "Over half of the injured are developing infections, some of them are worse than others."

"The closest thing we can do is to remove the infected skin and and treat the infection in the body."

"And how do we remove the infected skin?" Shanae demanded, her foot tapping the ground impatiently as she turned to study the hundreds of people in the hospital. "We have over four hundred people in this hospital that need treatment, the infections are spreading like wild fire and there's only one girl who can Heal them."

"Exactly. That's why we need to provide as little work for Ariella as possible." Isabella sighed before glancing over to me, her eyes giving me a sorrowful glance. "The only way we can remove the infected skin is to cut it out. We can apply alcohol or a mixture of herbs to kill the infection. With the infection gone, all you'll have to do is heal the open skin."

"By doing it that way, I could Heal about sixty or seventy." I confessed, smiling softly. Reattaching the skin was easy, the easiest thing for me to do and it took very little Power. However, even then, I know I wouldn't be able to Heal all of them, especially since I had already been using my Power earlier today as well.

"Exactly, it'll take a few days to get through everyone, but I believe those with infections need to be out top priority." Isabella nodded as her eyes fell back towards the book, skimming the words on the pages.

"But who are we to decide who gets Healed first?" Shanae grumbled before leaning forward. "There's already people's upset that we're tending to streetwalkers and such before Lieutenants and other major roles."

"While I understand, it's not their choice. It's Ariella's." Isabella shrugged before glancing up at me. "None of them can do what you can, so none of them can say a single thing about who you decide to Heal first."

"I just thought Healing those who's injuries are more serious was more important than Healing base on their role in the community." I muttered as I nibbled on my bottom lip.

"They're just butt hurt that their money and social standing doesn't affect you." Shanae smiled, her arms slipping around my shoulder and hugging me tightly. "Personally, I like the way you do things. It shows you think everyone is important."

"Well, aren't they?"

The two of them snorted slightly before glancing up at me and smiled. "Of course they are, Ariella, of course they are." Isabella giggled, amusement flickering in her eyes. "Just, who's more important depends on who you ask."

"Anyway, should I tell the girls the new plan so we can get started?" Shanae interrupted me when I attempted to speak, laughter dancing in her voice.

"If Ariella is willing to do it, go ahead."

"I want to tend to the ones who has it the worst. The ones who'll die first or who will suffer the most." I told her and she nodded.

"Well, we knew that one, Ariella." Shanae laughed once more before darting away.

"You know, I wish there was a trick to Heal multiple people." Isabella sighed as she placed the book into her lap, her eyes turning to study me. "Perhaps they never came up with a strategy, that they thought it was to dangerous."

"Or it does exist, but it was one of the most guarded secrets?" I suggested and she nodded.

"If it required a bunch of Power, then yeah. I could see that. It would have had to be hidden so that those without the right amount of Power couldn't find it." Isabella sighed once more as she leaned against the wall. "The question is, where would such a thing even exist?"

"Somewhere where only the Healers would go?" I shrugged and she tensed, her shoulders lifting slightly as she stared up at me.

"Of course!" She exclaimed and I stared at her in confusion. "In the ancient Healer's dwelling, there's a building that no one can enter. There's no door knob, no key hole, nothing. No one has entered it for years. What if there's a secret in there?"

"What kind of secret?" I questioned.

"A secret that the Healers wanted to keep to themselves. If that's true, Ariella, then there may be Healing strategies in that building that you can do." Isabella smiled brightly, her eyes twinkling slightly. "It might be best to go today, before Alexander and your siblings get here."

"But what about the patients?" I questioned as I stared at her, starting at her in surprise as she pulled herself up to her feet and walked up towards me.

"If I'm right, then there's going to be a lot less people you'll have to worry about." Her hands encased my upper arms, squeezing it slight. "If not, then we'll come back and we'll tend to them, one by one."

"Are you sure this is even the right thing to do?"

"Not at all, but what else can we do, Ariella?" Isabella demanded as she stared at me. "We have a chance to learn something about out history that we never had the chance to learn before."

"I don't think Alexander would approve of just the two of us going." I reminded and she shrugged.

"We'll take Shanae too." Her hand fell and clasped tightly onto mine. "Come on, there's no time to lose."