21 | long night

Ava's pov

Ava's pov

Next day

The cop ended up dropping us off at my house last night. We had to go in the cop car which was icky.

"Diane and Javier were so drunk.." Mia shook her head as she walked out the bathroom and joined me in the kitchen. "Babysitting them was a nightmare."

"I know. Can you believe one of them is a multi millionaire?" i handed her a cup of coffee. Then i handed her the sugar and creamer so she could adjust it to her liking.

"So how are you?" She silently stirred her cup with a spoon.

"I'm okay now." i shrugged.

"I mean it sucks that they just vanished so quickly.... but it's not like i'm not used to it." i shook my head.

"He'll come back for you Ava." she reassured me.

"How do you know?" i took a sip of my coffee and leaned against the counter.

"Because i know deep down he is in love with you.... and if things were different he would be here." she smiled softly.

"Well this is how it turned out... and i'm not just going to wait around for the day he comes back. I need to move on or else i'll never be happy with my life. Life is way too short to cry about people."

"You're right. Live your life." she agreed.

"Last night the cop gave me his number." i mentioned.

"He what?" she was caught off guard.

"Yeah.... look." i showed her the piece of paper with his phone number and name.

"His name is Gray?" she raised her brow.

"I suppose so." i shrugged cluelessly.

"Are you going to text him?" she teased.

"Probably not. Our worlds would never mesh into one. He's a good guy and i'm related and friends with fugitives." i laughed it off as i tossed the number in the trash.

A few months later

"I'm so proud of this line." Diane squealed as we looked over the final sketch designs for the fall line.

Diane let me work with her on this line because she knew being a fashion designer has always been a dream. This is just helping me get the experience i need.

"Javi wants to go out and get drink tonight. Are you down?"

"Ehhh no. I don't feel like babysitting you guys." I shook my head.

"We'll be good this time i promise."

"Well i can't. I'm spending the night organizing my kitchen."

"That is so boring." She cringed.

"I think it's fun." i crossed my arms.

"You do you honey." she shrugged.

"It's fun organizing kitchens. I even bought decor to decorate it and make it more homey." i smiled.

Diane couldn't care less about my kitchen ideas, she just wanted to get blacked out.

Later that night

This was honestly a vibe. Home alone, music playing, a nicely decorated kitchen. I was content with my life. For once.

Usually i would spend my nights with Javi and Diane getting wasted, but i notice drunk Ava gets too sad.

The last thing i need to do is cry about Brian. Of course. Here i am saying the name.

If love means you'll still fall for someone who broke your heart.... then fuck love. Did i even really love Brian? I barely knew him now that i think about it.

I didn't really know much about his past. And i only knew the side of him he wanted to show.

I guess i just liked how he cared.

Ugh why am i still hung up on this guy?

While i was so in my own head i heard a shattering of glass.

My heart began to race out of fear. It sounded like it was one of the windows.

I grabbed a knife from my neatly organized drawer and slowly crept to my room.

I could hear loud foot steps in my room as they rummaged through my stuff.

I reached for my phone on the counter and dialed 911.

I would scream but i didn't want the intruder to kill me. Any minute now they'd open the door and look through the other parts of the house. So i ran to Javier's room and locked myself in.

A few minutes gone by and i heard cops cars outside my house.

I remained in the closet until i knew it was safe.

"Ava?" I freaked out once i heard my name.

A flashlight flashed into my eyes and there he was.

"Gray?" i raised a brow.

"I was sent over here. Something about a break in. My team is looking through the rest of the house. Are you okay?" he turned the room lights on.

"No! Someone tried robbing me." I panicked.

"Hey it's going to be okay." he reassured me as he led me out of the house.

It was going to be a long night.

—sweeteasaint