Chapter 2 - Its not a ditch if it shows your ID

"I just can't take my eyes off of you. Tell me anything you want me to. Oh I can't take my eyes off of you. Nothing I can do about it. Nothing I can do about it."

My favorite part of the song blasted through my headphones, and I hummed along unconsciously. I sat there enjoying the rhythm and tempo until a small beep made me turn my attention to my phone.

From: The Store Core
11:30 am LaraTCS: are u guys here yet?

11:30 am CoopTCS: how are you even awake this early

11:30 am LaraTCS: cuz our shift....starts.....at....12?!

11.31 am CoopTCS: yes but that's like a whole hour away

11.31 am LaraTCS: so apart from the excessive jokes, you're also illiterate. Gotcha.

11.32 am CoopTCS: when my parents got divorced, I started using sarcasm as a defense mechanism so.. 🤷‍♂️

11:33 am LaraTCS: OMG I'm so sorry!! I never knew! 🥺🥺🥺🥺

11:33 am Me: relax he's quoting Chandler from friends xD also I'm on the bus - 4 stops away

11:35 am CoopTCS: did you really have to ruin the fun?

11:35 am LaraTCS: what fun? The ass whooping you were going to get for lying?

11:37 am CoopTCS: you seriously think you can hit me? Honey I work out and I play baseball - I'm invincible.

11:37 am LaraTCS: yeaaaahh about that. That's what I thought Loki was. Yet lo and behold....

11:38 am Me: yikes. A little too far. Loki was the it dude

While Cooper was typing, I took a look around because I am pretty sure I felt someone staring at me. You know how you just get this feeling? I looked around but no one in the bus seemed to be acknowledging my existence to begin with. Then I saw it, just as the red light turned green, and even though we made eye contact for a second. Driving in the lane next to the bus was a bright red Jeep Wrangler, driven by none other than Axel Jones. Since I looked at him just as the light turned green, he managed to look away at that specific time. Despite our encounter being a second long, I could almost swear I saw him smirk. Does this dude know how to smile properly? Like what is this? Some lame, corny teen fiction novel?! Doesn't he feel embarrassed doing that with the guy sitting next to him?

Anyways, whatever. I'm not going to let that bother me, or the rattling butterflies in my stomach.

But hang on. Does that mean he's not coming to work? I wonder who's going to train us

Why should I care? Jeez focus Sophia.

From: The Store Core
11.39 am CoopTCS: I'm joking calm down jeez. I'm on the bus and I'm a stop away.

Wait this bus?

"Next stop: Ponds-view at The Corner Street."

Somehow I managed to hear the bus lady's hushed electronic voice over my loud music and the excessive 'dings' from the group chat.

I got my belongings and stood by the door to get off.

"So any specific reason you went crazy looking around like that?" Asked someone as I got off the bus.

"So you were on the bus with me the whole time yet you let that creep who smelled like a mix of weed and pungent salmon sit next to me? You're such a good friend y'know."

"Hey how was I supposed to know you wanted someone to sit next to you? And besides I didn't notice you there until you started looking around frantically. Were you looking for something? Maybe someone?" He mocked.