Chapter 18- Especially you Parker. I've heard horror stories about you

"Okay listen up team, as you have probably heard, Axel won't be joining us here for a while as he goes off and makes a difference in the world or whatever." Started Nate, air quoting the words difference in the world. "Until he comes back, I'm going to need you guys to report your absences and or delays to our beloved girl, Asma. She will be your new point of contact, but please don't spam her phone."

"I will block y'all if you do," She said, pointing her finger at all of us, "especially you Parker. I've heard horror stories about you."

Everyone stared at Cooper as he stopped mid-sneeze.

"What I do now?"

"Also, since the Christmas sale is coming up, I'm going to be assigning extra shifts to help with the stampede of people that will be gracing us with their presence. The shifts will help out in produce, cash, and some will be assisting customers when and if they need help..." Continued Nate.

"So, basically always right? Because they can't ever find anything even if it stares them in the face. Honestly Susan, you might be able to see the tomato paste if you lift your eyes a little above your phone to actually see the tomato paste." Said Brando, a chorus of agreements following suit.

"And don't even get me started about the ones at self check out. Like why are you even going to self checkout if you're going to make me scan your stuff for you? It's called self checkout, because you check out by thyself. And somehow, they lose the ability to read simple instructions. Like, what's so hard about the phrase 'cash or card'? Or would you like a bag or not." Said Priscilla, one of the older cashiers.

"They only magically know when to read when it's something relating to donations. They shake their heads at me like I'm the one they're donating to. Like calm your horses." Said Maria, another one of the cashiers always stationed at self-checkout.

"Or, they tell you a whole novel about the time they donated to Goodwill back in 1987, and think that the money they donated that long ago means they shouldn't donate for life." Said Lara.

"Honestly. Like at that point just stay home bro." Replied Cooper.

Everyone started talking at once, and it got a little too chaotic.

Okay, that escalated quickly.

"Okay. Okay, children! Let's all calm down. Your concerns have been heard. Yes, I know sometimes people can need  a little too much help, but that's our job to help them. That's why you're here, to make their visit a little easier. Try to make conversations with them, and see how it turns out. Some old people really don't have anyone in their lives and a lot of them told me that the conversations they have here with you guys are one of the few things they got going for them. So always try to be nice to people, and try to talk to them." Then his  eyes landed on mine, and they got a little wider for a second.

"Actually, we're also here for another reason. As you may have probably heard, Sophia has been attacked a few nights ago by one of these customers." A couple of gasps broke out, and he continued. "From my understanding, he was one of her customers and he waited for her to leave the store before attempting to do anything. Of course he didn't know that our girl is a black belt badass, and she kicked him right to the curb, in doing so, she brought down a wanted serial killer and local pedophile."

Everyone erupted in cheers and whistles and another chorus of 'attagirl' was played.

"Thank you everyone. But I only managed to subdue him due to my skills. Anyone else would've been taken right away. So please, be careful and make sure you're hyperaware of your surroundings. Never stay alone past closing time, especially when there's no one else in the plaza. Even though I managed to fight him off, without Axel and Lara's help, there  was a good chance he would've either gotten away or eventually subdued me. Just be careful." I said, goosebumps erupting from the mere memory.