Chapter 23 - This girl seriously needs to learn to text in one block

Sophia's POV:

After I sent Axel that message, I realized that I needed to get out of this dress, so I asked McGiligan to stop by my house . I got a change of clothes, took my laptop, and the single most important thing I currently had on me. I stuffed everything into my bag, changed into more comfortable clothes, left Lara a note with the dress, and then got back in the car. I chose the farthest hotel from my house, but not too far that they couldn't reach me if I needed them; or they needed me. The rush of information I got was still making my head throb, and I was still in shock. I would have to go through the surveillance footage I have saved in my room attic, but I'm more than sure that this man was the same monster who killed my family.

Ten years ago, fifteen year old me was pretending to be a CSI investigating a crime, and both my parents were playing along. The were my commanding officers and I was up there collecting evidence because they were teaching me to be thorough. Before I knew it, I was a witness to the worst event of my life. I made sure the box was secured in my bag and I let McGiligan drive me across the city. Thankfully, he didn't try to make small talk, and he just let me be. It didn't slip me, however, how he kept glancing back at me from his rearview mirror. I didn't know what emotions to feel. On one hand, there was my strong affection towards Axel, but on the other hand, his father killed my parents. Not hurt them, not stalked them; killed them. And it isn't just a random event, this is a man he's been actively fixing his relationship with, a man who promised him relationships that would make his company take off.

What do I do? Do I tell him, and risk ruining the best thing that ever happened to me? Do I let it go, when I owe this to my parents and my brother? What do I do? There is no way in hell I'm going to let him get away with making me an orphan, and for putting my brother in a coma, but what about Axel? He suffered all his life because of this man, and now when he's finally allowed himself to give him a chance, this happens. I really don't know what to do, but I know that that man doesn't deserve to be free for what he did. I closed my eyes, to cool myself down, and I fought my mind to not think of anything, but I couldn't. All I saw was Axel's broken face if I told him. What would he think? What would he say?

See, this is the main reason I never wanted to open up to anyone; it always went south. When I kept to myself, I only had myself to take care of, only my feelings to spare, only my safety to think about. Now I have a Lara living in my house, an Axel emotionally attached to me, and a Cooper and Landon I feel responsible for. They wriggled their way into my life, and of course I couldn't be more grateful, but now that just means that I have to protect them too. I'm just so tired of fighting these demons by myself. I was forced to grow up at fifteen, and I've had to fend for myself ever since. That meant only trusting myself, and only ever asking for help if it was pertinent. But now it's different. Now I have a whole army by my side but they didn't ask to be dragged into this.

Ugh.

Why can't life ever be easy?

"I really wish you were here, mom." I whispered at the sky. Images of her beautiful face flashed before

It took about a half hour for me to get to the lobby of this super fancy hotel midtown called 'La Fleur Di Lis'.

"Thank you so much McGiligan, I really appreciate it." I said, truly glad he went out of his way for me.

"Any time, mi lady. Here's my business card. Please let me know if you need me to drive you anywhere."

"I will. Bye!" I replied, grabbing his card.

"Hi! Welcome to our hotel. How can I help you?" greeted the concierge desk clerk. The name on his nametag read "Armani".

"Hi, I'd like to book a room please. No specifics."