Chapter 27 -Of course this six foot, totem pole of a human was blocking the way

Why did my heart beat this fast?

I didn't want to see him, or talk to him, or even catch a whiff of that dumb vanilla/cinnamon smell.

"I'm sorry Cooper, I have to go back downstairs. You can keep the pasta."

He looked at me like I done lost my mind, but he didn't say anything. I heard Axel sigh and mutter something under his breath.

My head whipped at him, and he looked taken aback.

"Some nerve you got, Nikolson." I stopped myself from saying anything else I knew I'd regret.

Barely.

"Woah." whispered Cooper, busying himself with the pasta, looking at anything but us.

"What did you say to me?" Asked Axel, somewhere between hurt, angry, and surprised.

I shoved my skittles in my pocket and took my drink and headed towards the door. Of course this six foot, totem pole of a human being was blocking the way.

"You heard what I said. Now, move." I said slowly, half afraid I'd cry and crumble like the weakling I know myself to be. I knew that if I looked at him for too long that I'd want nothing in the world but to cry my heart out in his arms. That I'd want nothing than for him to reassure me -- to tell me it was going to be okay.

But what did I do? I got into a staring contest with him. It took all but two seconds for his eyes to soften.

"Please, love. I just... I just want to talk. That's all." It was barely a whisper, but I could tell he was just as tired of this as I was. His hair was uneven and disheveled, his pretty eyes were tired and worn out, and on top of that, the bags under his eyes were tainting his otherwise angelic face. He was wearing checkered pajama pants and a black, Batman t-shirt in addition to his white superstars.

Something was off. This guy has never left home without looking like a million dollars, and today he looks like fifty-cents at most.

Okay, maybe a dollar but that's it.

"Axel, why do you look homeless?"

He chuckled a little, and shook his head.

"For your information, this is Hugo Boss."

"All I'm hearing is bla bla bla."

He looked at me, and I think let out a sigh of relief. He tilted his head, but didn't say anything and he didn't have to because his eyes said it all.

Damn you Nikilson.

"I hate you, by the way."

He sighed. "I know."

We were quiet for a few seconds before his phone rang. He answered it, and looked deep in thought.

He cursed under his breath.

"Yes, I know. I'm here already. Have Lyon meet me at the required place. Tell him it has to stay between us, okay? Thank you, man."

What the hell?

He saw the bewildered look on my face.

"I'm going to need you to trust me. I know you hate me right now, I know. But there's no time to explain. You and Cooper have to come with me right now. Now."

Cooper and I looked at each other, and back at Axel.

"Axel.. what..."

He cut me off.

"You were right. Of course you were right. About everything. And it shouldn't have taken me this long to realize it. They're coming for you, and that includes Lara and Cooper, because they think they're your family, so there's no time. I spoke with Nate, and he got someone to cover you guys, and we're going to get Lara. But please, let's go."