Chapter 28-Black coffee; no sugar. no cream. Like a serial killer.

"Okay, we've been stranded at this gas station for three hours. What's our plan?" Asked Cooper.

After Landon's call, we drove for another hour and parked at a gas station. It had a few restaurants and a shopping area so we got lunch and sat down to discuss our next move. Or at least, tried to.

"Someone tipped them off that we were headed towards that safe house, but no one knows anything about it..." started Axel.

"I blame Spencer!" Yelled Lara and Cooper simultaneously.

"What do I have to prove to you that it wasn't me?"

"Yeah, nothing you say can ever prove anything. I don't trust you, and my lawyer instinct is telling me you're up to something." Lara looked deep into his soul, and I could almost swear he flinched a little.

"Okay, guys I'm telling you Spencer is on our side for once. It cost me a lot of money so he knows that if he has something to do with this, it wouldn't end well for him." said Axel, taking a sip from his black coffee.

Black coffee, bro. No sugar. No cream. Just plain, and black, and bitter.

Like a serial killer.

"Who would even know about this?" I asked, clearly already knowing the answer.

"Hi. Excuse me, I would really like to be in the loop. What the heck is even going on?" Lara crossed her hands and sat back on her chair, her curly hair held in place by a pencil.

That's one damn strong pencil.

"Okay," I started, turning to face her, "remember when I told Axel about his dad, and how he didn't speak with me for a full week after that? Well, turns out he confronted his dad, and he didn't really deny anything, and now we think he's out to get all of us. And the 'us' includes you and Cooper. I'm not sure why that didn't include Landon though."

"Why would it include Landon though? If he's out to hurt us, what does Landon have to do with it?"

"Because he knows damn well I'll be back for Landon if he's ever in trouble. He's my best friend and brother, and my business partner, and as soon as I find out who did this -- they won't live to see another day." His eyes turned a dangerous shade, and unfortunately I knew that he meant it.

"Kill them? Are you kidding me? Do you want to communicate through prison letters?" I yelled out.

"Sophia, this is Landon we're talking about. That man used him to get to me, because he knows you're with me, and he also knows that I'll drop everything and help him out. But Trojan horse is the codeword we used in case he ever pulled something like this. That way, I'll know what I'm walking into."

"Okay, that's cute and all, but we need to find out who gave up our location." Spencer's annoyingly deep voice always found a way to make everyone hate life.

"I still say its...."

"No, it's not me Cooper. Move on already!"

Cooper eyed him suspiciously and continued sipping the disgusting concoction he calls a drink. Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Tonic water, and a strawberry drink. That's a diabetic coma in a cup, and a one way ticket to puke town.

"Okay, if it isn't the pervert, then who would it be? Who in our lives is connected to Axel's dad, or the shady organization he leads? No offence." Said Lara, smiling sheepishly at Axel.

"None taken." He said absent mindedly.

"Are you okay?" I asked putting my hand on his, because I didn't like that look in his eyes. It was too ominous.