t w e n t y f i v e | k a r a

"I still can't believe my daughter will be married in two days," my mother says while standing behind me. I stare at her in the reflection of the mirror hanging in front of us and give her a weak smile. 

"We understand that the situation is not ideal, Kara," my father says while walking towards us, "but this is the best way to bring our two planets together."

"I understand that. I just wish I had more time to process all of this." My father gives me a curt nod and my mother nudges me out to the garden. 

"Your father and I will leave you to yourself while we go make some final arrangements for the ceremony with Mon-El's parents." I give my mother a slight nod before they both walk back towards the door, leaving me outside with my thoughts. 

There's nothing for me to do. I just walk to the edge of the garden and press my hands up against the fence. I wish I could just run away and not have to deal with any of this, but I can't. The people of Krypton need me now more than ever and I want to show everyone that I am willing to sacrifice my happiness for their wellbeing. 

Knowing that I can help prevent a war between Daxam and Krypton is enough to convince me that what I am doing is for the greater good. 

"Kara," I turn around and see Mon-El walking towards me. 

"Hi," I say with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"Better than most," he shrugs and I nod knowingly that he's talking about his nightmares. 

"I thought we weren't supposed to see each other until the ceremony," I look at him. 

He scratches the back of his neck nervously. "Yeah, I just wanted to check up on you, make sure you were okay." I can see the blush creeping upon his cheeks. 

I chuckle. "See, I told you that you blush a lot, and I was right."

"Are you done laughing?" He crosses his arms and smiles. 

"I'm going to go back inside and prepare tonight's meal. You should leave before someone sees us together," I say with a small smile.

"Okay, I'll see you soon, Kara." He smiles and turns around and starts to walk away. 

"Yeah, see you," I say quietly even though I know he can't hear me.