t w e n t y o n e | k a r a

The ride was quiet and pleasant. We arrived home late in the evening and everyone seemed exhausted, to say the least.

We walk through the halls into the dining room. "Mon-El, Kara, are either of you hungry?" Alura asks. 

"No thank you," Mon-El says with a smile.

"What about you sweetheart?" She looks at me.

"No thanks, mother, I'll show Mon-El to his room and see you tomorrow morning," I say.

"Alright, get a good nights sleep you two, we have to start the wedding ceremony preparations tomorrow," she smiles.

I just nod and gesture for Mon-El to follow me down the twisted hallway. 

"You'll be staying in the room next to me, just like before," I say. He nods. "If you need anything, my room is always open," I say.

"Thank you, Kara. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Mhm," I hum. "Good night Mon-El," I say with a smile and close the door to my room slowly.

I faintly hear him, "Night, Kara," making me smile.

I change and get under the covers but I hear a scream from the other side of the wall.  I get up with a jolt and violently knock on his door. "Mon-El, are you okay?" 

Silent. 

"I'm coming in, Mon-El!" To my surprise, the door isn't locked.

I run over to the bed. He's having a nightmare. "Mon-El," I gently touch him, trying to wake him up. 

"Don't hurt her!" He screams.

I sit on his bed and gently run my hand through his hair. I feel him release a breath and watch him as he shifts. 

"Mon-El, it's okay, I'm right here," I say into his ear while hugging him in my arms. 

He turns. "Kara?"

"Yeah, it's me," I say.

"You were dead. My mom, she killed you, right in front of me." That's why he was screaming. 

"Hey, look at me. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

"I'm sorry," he says. 

"Don't be. It's not your fault." I say, not letting go of him.

"Kara?"

"Yeah?"

"Is it wrong for me to ask if you would stay here tonight?" I smile.

"I'll stay," I say. Before I can say anything else, Mon-El turns to face me and drapes an arm over my waist.

"Good night, Mon-El," I say and let myself close my eyes with a smile.