t e n | m o n - e l

We get back to her place and I quickly take my new clothes and neatly arrange them on the dresser. I don't bother changing out of my current clothes. I make my way to the family room, also overlooking the city. 

I see Kara playing with Kal-El near the window and laughing. I walk over to her. "Hi."

"Here, come sit," she pats the floor next to her. I obey and sit cross-legged. 

I look at Kal and see him staring back at me with wide eyes.

"He doesn't like me, does he?" I question.

"No, no, don't worry. It takes him a while to warm up to anyone he doesn't know," Kara says without looking up from Kal.

"I think our parents will be here shortly," I say. "My mother came into my room last night, telling me that we will marry in three weeks."

"Oh, really? My mom didn't tell me," she says.

"My guess is that we will marry on the sixth day of the seventh week since that is also Rao's Day, maybe I'm wrong," I say. 

"I'll ask my mother when it is," she says. 

"I can't help but feel guilty that you're going to be stuck with me to stop the war," I say.

She looks up at me. "Mon-El, you know this isn't your fault, right? You don't have a say in this, neither do I. I would do anything to save both of our planet's. And I won't be stuck with you, I will be beside you. I didn't expect to marry this young but we will make it work somehow," she says with a small smile. 

Why would a girl as sweet as Kara want to be with me just to save her planet? I don't deserve anyone like her. Of course, my mother and father don't see it that way. 

They will not treat Kara with respect once she and I are married. If she comes to live with us on Daxam, mother will force her to do things against her will. 

I won't be able to stand it if they hurt her. I'll have to talk to Kara's mother alone. 

I continue to sit beside her and smile. I watch as Kal-El crawls his way over to me, putting his hands on my legs to stand himself up. 

"Wow, Kal, you're standing up! I'm so proud of you," Kara smiles down at him. "See, I told you he'll warm up to you," she says to me. 

I extend my index finger close to his hand and watch intently as he grabs a hold of it, using his tiny fingers and wrapping them tightly around my finger. I smile down at him. "Good job, buddy," I say and ruffle his hair. He lets out a small giggle and continues to hold my hand while standing. 

"Who knew you were so good with kids," Kara looks at me. 

"I'll be honest, I have no experience," I chuckle. 

"You seem to be doing pretty well for your first time."

We spend the rest of the morning sitting in front of the window, laughing and watching Kal-El play with his toys, occasionally crawling around us on the floor.