s e v e n t e e n | k a r a

During our journey to Daxam, Rhea and Lar Gand talk amongst themselves while my parents talk quietly on the other end of the ship. 

"We are approaching," a guard speaks from behind me. Rhea nods at him while I turn my attention to the window. 

"There isn't much to see," Mon-El says from behind me. 

"I doubt that," I start. "There has to be something you like about this place."

"There are a few places I'll show you. I won't promise that you'll like it," he says. 

I don't say anything, I stare at him. I still have trouble understanding how he is so honest and kind, unlike his parents. 

"We're landing," Rhea says behind us. "Mon-El, why don't you show Kara around?"

"Okay," is all he says before turning back to face the window with me.

The doors open, revealing a concrete surface and pyramid-like structures. "Welcome to Daxam," Mon-El says to me quietly. I almost gasp at the sight. People lugging bricks on their back, cleaning the streets. 

"Come on, let's go," Mon-El lightly grabs my arm and ushers me outside. "We'll be back before nightfall," he says to our parents before leaving with me. 

"You really wanted to get out of there," I smile. 

"You have no idea," he chuckles. "I'll show you the mines," he says. 

I nod and realize that Mon-El releases my arm and holds my hand instead. I smile internally. "What's so special about the mine?" 

"You'll see," he says. 

Another five minutes pass by before Mon-El holds me close as we make our way through the tunnels. 

"Here, why don't you sit here," he guides me to a stone. I sit down and watch as he looks around until he picks up a small rock and grabs a knife from the wooden crate. He begins to pick at the rock, working away while I watch. 

"Almost done," he says after a while. 

"Take your time," I smile, although I know he's not looking at me. 

"Okay, I'm done," he says, a large smile appearing on his face. 

"What is it?" I ask, curiously. 

"This is a diamond, which I carved out of the rock. I used another mineral to create a band. It's a ring," he says. 

"Why make a ring?"

"I made the ring for you," he smiles.