n i n e t e e n | m o n - e l

"This is the center of Daxam. All the major events are held on this street," I point down a dirt road. 

Kara nods while looking around, absorbing the surroundings. "I love that tree at the end," she says. 

"That tree was brought in from another planet when my parents went to discuss off-world matters. Luckily, our atmosphere was hospitable for it," I say. 

"What do your parents need to go off-world for?" She asks. 

I let out a breath before answering. "My parents go to Slavers Moon."

Kara gasps. 

"Yeah. That's why I keep telling you that when my parents give me the throne, I'm going to be a different kind of king. And I want you by my side," I say, not looking directly at her, my cheeks turning a slight tint of red. 

Kara smiles. "As long as this," she gestures at the people walking by, "can be stopped."

"We will stop it," I say. "Come on, I have one more thing to show you before we have to go back," I say. I take her arm and lead her out of the busy street. We walk along the path and into the forest. 

"Are you sure this is safe?"

"Yeah. I used to come here all the time. Nobody else knows about this place," I say. 

We make it to the clearing, a small waterfall in the distance. 

"Who knew something so beautiful could be here," Kara says.

The words stumble out of my mouth without thinking. "That's not the only beautiful thing I'm looking at right now."

Kara blushes, making me smile. 

"Thank you for bringing me here."

"You're the only one that knows about it. On Daxam, we're not allowed to venture out of the city. I had to sneak out every time I wanted to," I say.

"You won't have to do that anymore. not if I have anything to say about it," she smiles at me while making circles on my palm with her delicate fingers. 

"I don't know what I did to deserve you," I smile.

"You stayed true to yourself and didn't let your mother's behavior affect you negatively."

"At least now I have you to guide me in the right direction," I say. 

"Yeah, you do," she says and leans her head on my shoulder while watching the waterfall in complete silence.