Chapter 10~Shay Dixon

I spot Jesse at school the next day and I don't know what to say to him. I should tell him the truth, that it's not going to work out. Instead, I walk a bit faster and pray that he doesn't see me.

"Shay!" Too late.

I spin around and plaster a fake smile on my face. "Hey Jesse."

"I was thinking, there's a new restaurant opening up on Monday and we should go."

"I don't know...this Monday?"

"Yeah."

I pretend to be just remembering something. "I'm sorry, I have this family party to go to and I would hate to miss it."

"Okay, another time then." He looks a bit disappointed but I' e stopped caring what he thinks.

"Maybe..."

I head to science class and sit down next to Cole. I open my backpack and toss him his hoodie.

"Thanks." Cole puts it in his backpack and there's an awkward moment of silence.

I hear the announcements come on but it's the second period so it can't be the morning announcements. I hear a girl's voice come on and even though I've heard it before, I can't remember where it came from.

"Did I mean nothing to you?" The girl asks, her voice is so shaky it's obvious she's close to crying.

"Look, Jules, December was great and I don't regret it but right now I need to focus on Shay." This can't be happening. Is that really Jesse? But then who's the girl?

"Excuse me-what do you mean right now? I'm not second choice!" My vision blurs. Why me?

"You're not..." I get up from my desk, grab my stuff, and leave. Once I get to the hallway, I'm running. I need to get outside, the voices are everywhere though.

"Well I see how it is. I don't want a guy who-" I race outside and stop in the parking lot. I can no longer hear it.

I sit down on a wooden bench and begin to cry. I zone out, not wanting to be here. When I look up, Cole is sitting next to me. He opens his arms and I fall into them.

"I'm so sorry Shay..." It's all I can hear him say. He's saying more but I can't understand it, so many thoughts are running through my head.

I hear the late bell ring and finally meet Cole's eyes. "You better get to class."

Cole shrugs. "I can catch up."

"I'll just head home."

Cole hesitated and I continue. "Please, don't skip because of me...I would only feel worse. Besides, I kinda wanna be alone at the moment."

"Alright but if you need anything, I'll be there right away." Jesse wouldn't have said any of the things Cole was saying. In fact, Jesse would have left at the first suggestion.

"Thank you." We hug one last time before separating.

💗~*~💗

Hope you're enjoying the story! Please comment your opinion and thank you so much for continuing to read it! Have a great day/night! 💞