Chapter 38~Shay Dixon

It's April 28th and I step into Tim Horton's to find Sasha already sitting down at a table. Her table is in the corner where she sits, drinking a cup of coffee. Her phone isn't out and there's no indication that she was doing anything before I arrived. Just sitting. Staring out the window. Drinking a cup of coffee.

I sit down at the opposite end of the table, pushing a chair out and having it make a small screech. Sasha's head swivels in my direction. She doesn't say anything at first, just quietly sips at her coffee, as if deep in thought.

"What's the problem?" I demand, she called this meeting after all. She could at least get this over with.

"No problem." Sasha lightly sets her coffee cup down.

"Then why did you want to meet up?" I ask impatiently.

Sasha bites her bottom lip, as if debating whether or not to say a hard truth. "There could be a problem...promise to hear me out fully?"

I raise my eyebrows and slowly nod.

"Cole's dangerous."

"Excuse me?"

Sasha sighs, looks around Tim Horton's, and then continues. "Do you see this scar?" I look to where she's pointing. Under her right eye, there is a long, narrow scar. As if something sharp quickly sliced the skin.

"Yes...why?" Is she going to tell me it's Cole's fault?

"I was a camp counsellor at a summer camp about two years ago-between grade 10 and eleven. Cole was another counsellor."

I nod, remembering Cole saying he had gone. He had never said much about it, only that it was a waste of seven weeks of the summer.

"Well...Cole and I were a thing. I broke up with him on the second last week of camp. He didn't take it well." Sasha hesitates.

"What do you mean?" I gulp.

"He got really angry and...and...abusive..." Sasha's eyes cloud with grief but no tears come. This is far more emotion than she usually shows though (her face is often very blank) so I give her some credit for that.

"Abusive how?" I inquire.

"He got very upset and kept saying how I thought our relationship was all fun and games. He was probably just lonely. He said he didn't want me to forget him so he would make sure I remembered." Sasha shifts in her seat. "Cole threw a glass vase on the floor of his cabin and then picked up a piece of it. He kept saying, over and over, "I'll make sure you don't forget" then he trapped me against a corner. He cut my face with a broken piece of the vase and then shoved me outside."

It was my turn to shift in my seat. Could Cole really do that? "What proof of all of this do you have?"

Sasha hangs her head. "None, that's why he got away with it. I'm sure if you asked him though, he would show guilt. Please trust me, Shay."

I pause, weighing my options. "I'll ask him but it really doesn't sound like something he's capable of."

Sasha nods. "I know. He's better now, I noticed that after living here for a few weeks. He must be on new medication..."

Medication? I never knew Cole was even on medication...

Sasha continues before I can ask anything though. "I even bet he tried to stop you from meeting with me."

Crap.

Suddenly, Cole's behaviour yesterday makes sense. So it was guilt. Was it over the same scenario that Sasha's describing though? Or was he just worried about my safety? Suddenly, it feels like Cole doesn't even exist anymore. Only a strange, unpredictable guy in his place. One who hurts others and doesn't even care. I stand up, moving my chair back and having it make a small screech at the sudden movement. "I'm sorry but I have to go, Sasha."

Sasha blinks. "I understand, Shay."

If she says anything else, I don't hear it, I'm already heading out the door.

All the new information about Cole changes a lot. If it's all true...do I even know Cole? Do I even know my own boyfriend?

💗~*~💗

Anything I say could spoil the book so hope you're enjoying the story and have a great day/night! 💞