Chapter 28~Shay Dixon

News of Alexandra's death spreads around Mount Baker like a wildfire. As much as people gossip, it seems like not many of them care. They just care about the story they get out of it.

A counsellor came into the school but very few went to her.

"She didn't seem like the suicidal type." Cole remarks as we head out for lunch.

"And you knew her very well." I snort.

Cole shrugs. "She always carried a book with her. She seemed like she had her whole life planned out so why would she ruin that?"

Cole's right, Alexandra did seem really smart. I know she helped out some teachers when their new computers weren't working.

I sigh. "I don't know Cole. Maybe she was drunk or was on special medication. A side effect of something could have triggered it."

"Maybe..."

Even though I say it, it does seem strange. She doesn't seem capable of suicide no matter what the motive was. But what else could have happened?

"Besides...we need to focus on Jesse's murder. They're going to send us to trial and I don't know where to start." I sigh.

"You should have thought about that before you murdered my boyfriend." I spin around to see Sadie Roberts.

"He was attacking Cole!" How dare she...

"It was self-defence." Cole adds.

Sadie rolls her eyes. "Cole's fight didn't have to be yours' and you didn't have to kill him."

I can't believe she's standing up for Jesse! I thought we were friends. Sure Jesse was her boyfriend for a short period of time but Jesse's fight with Cole proved that he still cared about me more. "Cole was my best friend! You weren't there Sadie, Jesse was the one who pulled out the knife. He tried to kill Cole!"

The information seems to shock Sadie. She has to adjust her balance, stunned. Even saying it brings back the traumatic memory. Surely Jesse was going to kill Cole...he hadn't seemed like he was bluffing.

I sway on my feet a bit. Cole notices and comes up behind me, wrapping an arm around me. With Cole's support, I talk to Sadie again, more gentle this time.

"I'm sorry Sadie but Jesse really did try to kill him. He even tried to kill me. He had anger issues and I'm sure he didn't plan on killing anyone at the start. But then he got really angry and..." I trail off.

Sadie's eye's shine with tears. "Why are you with Cole now?"

The question takes me by surprise. "He saved my life...without him, Jesse would've killed me and..."

Sadie gives me a sad nod. "I'm sorry." She mumbles before walking away.

I go to follow her but Cole stops me. "Let her go, she needs time to wrap her mind around it."

I nod, knowing I probably couldn't say anything else that would make Jesse's death easier on Sadie. Cole wraps his other arm around me before pulling me back for a second and looking into my eyes.

"Is that really the only reason you're with me?"

I give a small laugh and shake my head. "No one ever said "only"."

Cole smiles at me but I see he still wants an answer so I continue.

"We just seem to balance each other out," I begin, "there's rarely an awkward moment and you can always seem to cheer me up. Even when we're fighting. The only reason I was so hesitant before is because I didn't want to wreck our friendship. I don't ever want to know what would happen if we break up."

Cole's light brown eyes light up. "Me neither. Thank you Shay, that means a lot."

We kiss but he pulls away a moment later. "There's something I should tell you..."

I'm a bit surprised but I nod. "Ok..."

"Before Jesse asked you out, I liked you. Jesse got dared to ask you out from Jason. He knew I had liked you for months and I guess he thought I would never work up the confidence to ask you out myself."

I give a shaky nod for Cole to continue.

"Don't get me wrong, Jesse did like you and he wasn't one to turn down a dare so he accepted. I should've asked you out sooner but I didn't even think you liked me that much even though we were friends."

I raise my eyebrows. "Cole...I did like you then. I only accepted Jesse's offer because I thought you wouldn't ask. I wasn't going to ask you out, I wanted to hear you say you wanted to."

Cole brightens. "So...you're not mad?"

I shrug. "Not really...not at you anyway...I'm just glad you told me."

Cole relaxes and pulls me in, kissing my worries away. Why was I ever with Jesse then? Was I just desperate?

I'm glad Cole and I are finally together, it seems the way it should be.

💗~*~💗

Hope you all enjoyed! What are you thinking about?

Yes, Alexandra did die. I'm sorry for getting rid of her but she is still important in the story.

Thank you for continuing to read my story and have a great day/night! 💞