Chapter 43~Shay Dixon

It's hard to avoid Cole at school but I know I can't afford to miss anymore schoolwork. The problem is, now that we're broken up, we are still partners in a lot of projects and still have to sit together.

The rule in class is that once you pick a seat, you stay there until the next seating change. Which is usually every two or three months. Because it's May, we might not get another seating plan. There wouldn't be much of a point.

I get a text before heading to school and I read it, irritated instantly when I see who it is. Why can't he just leave me alone?

Cole: You can't avoid me forever.

He's right of course but that doesn't mean I won't avoid him when it's possible.

~*~

First up, english class. Which makes it impossible to avoid Cole without skipping class. I wonder if Mr. Connor would give me a new spot to sit if I asked.

Though, not wanting to explain myself, I just sit down. Cole isn't there yet so it gives me time to prepare. When the bell does ring, Cole comes in at the last second. Who's avoiding who now?

He sits down and I focus on my notes, trying to at least seem like I'm studying.

"Why didn't you respond to my texts?" Cole whispers.

I tense up. "I'm not sure you would want to know my response." I state bitterly.

"Any response at all is much better than no response."

"Think again."

Mr. Connor's voice cuts through our conversation. "Mr. Chambers and Miss Dixon, I do hope you're talking about our project."

We both nod, despite the fact that I have no idea what project he is talking about.

Me. Connor focuses back on his computer. "Good because, as I recall, you missed the start of it, Shay. But don't worry, your partner will catch you up."

Partner? "And who might my partner be?"

Cole smirks and holds out his hand. "Howdy partner!" Cole jokes in a heavily exaggerated Texas accent.

I frown at Cole but he only continues. "I'm glad you're as excited as I am."

Mr. Connor stands up, ignoring our conversation. "Today you will all be working on the project. You have the whole class. This will be your second last day." Mr. Connor sits back down, motioning for the class to get to work.

I turn to Cole. "Why are we partners?"

"Actually, we broke up, haven't you heard?" Cole's smile seems a lot more forced this time.

"I mean the project. And besides," I add with a hiss, "I'm not the one that needs to be reminded of that."

Cole's voice comes out tight, any indication he is joking is now erased. "We have to be partners with the person we're sitting with."

"Oh." A part of me is disappointed. The way he says it, it's like if there wasn't that rule, we wouldn't be partners at all. Fair enough I guess.

Cole looks at his computer. "Let's just get this over with. The sooner it's done, the better."

I nod, trying to still seem confident. Deep inside though, I wish I had never agreed to meet Sasha at Tim Horton's. Maybe it would've been better had I not known the truth. Surely Cole would've told me sometime.

For the rest of class, Cole and I don't talk. Maybe it's for the best though.

💗~*~💗

Hope you're enjoying so far! I have a lot I could say right now but I would hate to ruin this book with spoilers. Brace yourself for the upcoming chapters though. Have a great day/night! 💞