Chapter 20~Adam Miller

The April wind whips my leather jacket as I ride my motorcycle down the streets of Cranbrook. I check the time. Nearly eleven thirty.

I stop my bike at my girlfriend's house. She hates it when I'm late. She may be hard to understand but, in the three months we've been dating, I learned that the hard way.

I ease the bike to a stop and pick a small rock up. I swing it with my right hand and wait for it to hit her window. I hear it bounce off and, when she doesn't come, I bend over to grab another.

I'm just about to throw it when I see her silhouette in the window. I drop the rock and watch her slowly push her window open. It creaks a bit but not too loudly. She jumps to a tree branch and lets go, plummeting to the ground.

She hits the ground, rolls, and then stands up. Her hands untangle her long black hair.

"Just in time." She smiles before pausing and adding with a hiss, "For once."

"You know I try Sasha but my mom is super protective ever since-"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Ever since your father killed your brother and got locked up. Honestly Adam, how many times do I have to listen to you tell that story?" She rolls her eyes.

I know Sasha only really cares about herself. She doesn't seem remorseful for anything and would probably be the last person in the world, not including people in jail, to show empathy. She claims that mourning over something without doing anything to fix it is just a waste of time. She's the only real fun I have in my life at the moment though so I keep her around.

"You're right, I will try my best to stop bringing it up. How selfish of me. At least I haven't killed anybody myself..." Two can play at that game.

Sasha bites her bottom lip and the look in her eyes lets me know I've gone too far. "Excuse me?"

I shrug. "You heard me."

"You bet I did." Sasha backhands me across the face. Ok, I deserved that. But I was only returning the favour.

Regardless, I decide to move from the topic. "So what are we going to do tonight? Light a fire? Blow something up? Head to the mall and-"

"This." Sasha opens up the black backpack she was wearing. She holds up a can of purple spray paint. "There's more where that came from." She opens the backpack at the way and I see five more cans.

"Okay..."

"I was thinking we could spray the outside of the school. Nothing specific really, just random things. Unless you have something in mind." Sasha puts the backpack on again. "It'll be like art class."

"Sounds cool, let's go." I jump on my motorcycle and Sasha gets on the back, wrapping her arms securely around my waist as we ride into the night.

~*~

When we get to Mount Baker High, Sasha dumps out the contents of her backpack. I grab a red spray can at first and get to work.

I start doing random designs but, as time goes by, I turn it into a scene. When I'm finished, I see a simple landscape of a city. It's basic and has no meaning really. I doubt Sasha will be impressed. Then again, Sasha is hardly ever impressed it seems.

I head over to the other side of the school and am shocked. The whole school is covered in a variety of colours, all coming together to make a mountain scene. In the middle, a stick figure is holding a gun and shooting at a bear. At least, I think it's a bear. The lake in the scene looks a bit like Moyie Lake.

Sasha stops spraying, noticing my staring. "Thoughts?"

"It looks great." Kinda...she's not going pro so it doesn't really matter what I say. Not that she really cares about my opinion.

She lets out a snort. "Uh huh."

"Should we head back now? It's almost three o'clock and-"

"I know what time it is!" She snaps.

"Well you should go to school tomorrow, you've skipped too many days. At this rate, you're never going to graduate this year." I point out.

Sasha only shrugs. "Whatever you say, I don't really care if I graduate or not. You graduated last year so you think you know it all but you don't have any idea."

I frown. "I was only giving you some advice-"

"That I didn't ask for!"

"I'll head home, you can walk for all I care!" I go to turn back.

This makes her pause. "I..."

I wait, she's going to have to speak for herself. I'm tired of her trying to get my pity. She needs to get a hold of reality.

"Ok. Let's go." She grabs her spray cans and stuffs them into her backpack with a sigh. I don't care if she thinks I'm not being "fun enough", she can't just float through life. One day she'll realize that. Whether it's from therapy or standing behind bars. Maybe once she turns 18 and becomes an adult, she'll realize she'll be charged as one too.

Until then, I'll have to stop giving in to her.

💗~*~💗

Now you know a bit more about both Sasha and her boyfriend, Adam Miller. Hope you enjoyed and as always, have a great day/night! 💞