Chapter 12~Jesse Holland

In class, I act like I don't care. I'm not ashamed and I really don't see why I should be. I was only following my heart.

Beside me, Sadie Roberts sits with a skeptic look on her face. I sigh and open my social textbook. Sadie flips through her own textbook and I get annoyed at the silence.

"I didn't..." I stop myself, not sure what I was going to say.

Sadie snaps her head in my direction. "You didn't what? You didn't cheat on Shay? You didn't do who-knows-what with Juliette in December? You didn't mean to?

"Ok look, Shay and I were on a break!" Even as I say it, I feel like Ross from FRIENDS. No one agreed with Ross when he cheated. And that's exactly what I did. Cheated.

Sadie just stares at me, her lips slightly parted. She gives me an are-you-serious look.

I quickly start talking again, rushing to explain. "Ok, I didn't mean it like that but I didn't know if we were going to get back together. Juliette was so understanding and I liked her before I started dating Shay..."

Sadie nods, not at all seeming convinced but I figure it's best that I stop talking anyway.

~*~

After school, I head to Shay's house on my motorcycle. I should talk to her sooner than later.

I knock on the blue door and there is no response. I wait a few minutes. No one comes. I knock again and I see Penny's tiny face in one of the windows. I give a friendly wave and she frowns.

The door opens a few seconds later and she peeks out the tiny crack.

Mind if I come in?" I ask hopefully.

"No way." Penny responds stubbornly.

"I just want to speak to Shay."

"Well she certainly doesn't want to speak to you." Penny scrunches up her nose and I can already see this is going to take a while. Arrogant little brat.

Penny goes to shut the door but I stop her.

"Can you deliver her a message?"

Penny hesitates but I can tell she's curious. "I...I guess I can do that."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Tell her to meet me at the school bench in the morning just before the first bell."

Penny nods. "I can't promise she'll come but I will tell her."

I'll take it. "Thank you." After that, she practically slams the door in my face. Ok, fair enough. At least I have it my best shot.

~*~

I wait at school the next morning, sitting on one of the benches. I wait for a long time but Shay doesn't show. The first bell rings. Then the second. No Shay.

At lunch, I spot her at her locker. "Shay!"

She doesn't look up but by the way she tenses up, I can tell she heard me.

"Didn't you get my message?"

Her voice is cold and bitter when she speaks. "Yes, I got it."

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I made a mistake and..."

Shay doesn't respond. Shay doesn't even look at me. Only walks off. Close by, I spot Sasha.

I go up to her and her voice is casual when she speaks, making me even more angry. "Hey Jesse, can I help you?"

"Why did you do this?" I growl.

Sasha blinks innocently. "I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand."

"This! The announcements! Why did you do it?"

She doesn't seem phased by the pain I'm in at all. "I don't recall you doing what I asked...do you?"

"I...I couldn't..." I stumble. I didn't think she would dare go through with blackmailing me. What does she have against me?

Sasha shrugs. "Wouldn't it have been better than this though? Next time, I would do exactly what I say." She winks and then heads off down the hall, leaving me stunned.

💗~*~💗

I hope you're enjoying it! Thank you guys so much for your support, honestly I was unsure about whether or not to type this story out but I'm glad I did! Hope you have a wonderful day/night! 💞