Chapter 5

When I walked out of my apartment, I saw that there are packers and movers in the 604. I am 601. There was an old couple living in 604. I saw them fussing around making sure things are getting packed properly.

"You are moving?" I asked the grandpa.

"Yes, yes..." He said. "The kids want us to move in with them. Saying it will worry them a little less if we two are not alone here."

"Nice of them," I said. I refused to move when Amma and Achan moved back to Kerala. I grew up in Mumbai. This is my home.

"What are you doing with the apartment?" I asked.

"We are thinking of renting it out." He said. "To someone who won't damage it... Since we won't be able to come to check every time..."

Rihan is searching for an apartment for rent. I better seize this opportunity. "Ah... My friend is looking for an apartment."

"Really?" Rihan asked.

"Yeah. It's a fair price. And you have seen my place. It's identical to my place."

"Your place is good." He said.

"Yeah. So better grab this chance. You even have less rent than mine."

"Yeah. Yeah... Can I come to look today?"

Rihan moved into 604.

Vishwa and I had a housewarming party at his place. A quiet one. We played a movie. Vishwa dozed off in the middle of the movie.

It was just Rihan and me now. And it felt strange...

The movie credit started rolling. And I was looking at Rihan. He rarely smiled nowadays. He caught me looking. I blinked. And was not able to say anything. But I didn't look away.

"Hm... What?" Rihan asked me.

"Are you... are you feeling better now?" I asked, to break the awkwardness.

He looked away. "I don't know..." he said. "Some mornings I wake up searching for her in the bed next to me... Like a habit. Sometimes it feels so unreal... Like this is a nightmare and I only need to wake up from it."

I know that feeling really well.

I also wish if this was a nightmare, and we could wake up from it.

Vishwa snored behind us.

I saw a tear streaking down Rihan's eyes. He did not wipe it away or hide it from me. I got up and hugged him from the side.

If I also wished I can wake up one day and it is 7 years back before my world fell apart.

Chapter 5.5

Comfort...

That I really needed for a while.

I let myself cry in those small arms.