Chapter 24

I was trying to get my saree pleats to be even when Rihan came in asking, "How much time are you taking to get ready?"

"Get out." I said, "I am not ready yet."

"I have seen you naked." He said coming closer. "Let me do that. I know how." He took hold of my saree and began to take perfect even pleats. I did not want to ask Rihan how he knew how to take saree pleats, knowing that Suhani wore sarees a lot to functions.

Today was one of our college friend's marriage reception. It's been four months since Rihan and I started our new relationship. But it still felt like it all happened yesterday.

His hands neatly tucked in the pleats. And trailed his hand over my belly button. "You look hot." He said in a complaining tone.

"So?" I teased him.

"So I don't want to go to the marriage reception anymore." He pulled me closer. I laughed and pushed him off and finished getting ready. I wanted to look my best. Because I knew Suhani will be there. It's been months since I saw or talked to her. It felt weird and I felt nervous.

"Relax," Vishwa told me. "You are so jittery that you are making the table shake." Vishwa and Vainavi sat across me. But I could not help it. I felt eyes on me. Usually, for every function, Rihan walks in with Suhani. But this time I walked in with Rihan and Suhani walked in alone.

Suhani was at the food counter. Rihan was across the room talking to some guys from college.

I saw Suhani walking to us. "Hey..." she smiled at Vishwa and me. I think she smiled at me too. "Can I sit here?"

"Sure," Vishwa said.

"It's been so long since I saw you Vishwa." She said. "Are you not going to introduce me?" She asked indicating Vainavi.

"Oh... This is Vainavi. My girlfriend. Vainavi, this is Suhani.

Suhani greeted her with a smile and turned to me. "How are you?" She asked me, again with a smile.

"Fine," I said. All nervous. I tried to feel less guilty to be having sex with her ex. "You look nice," She added to me. "Thanks. How is uncle now."

"Oh! He is much better. Though he still must eat a lot of medicines and all. And he is being a baby about it. You know how he is."

I nodded.

"Does your parents know about your breakup now?" Vishwa asked all of a sudden. Suhani turned to him....

Suhani looked uncomfortable. "They think we are having a rough patch."

"For almost a year?" He asked.

I suddenly feel so uncomfortable that I get up. "I need a little more paneer curry. It's so tasty." I walked with my plate. "I'll come with you." Vainavi jumped up to follow me. I think she just wanted to give emotional support.

We were at the food counter when I ran into Karishma and Sarah – two of our college mates. "Hey... Ishika..." they greeted me. "It's been so long."

"Yeah. How are you?" I asked looking at Karishma who clearly looked pregnant. "Already second baby?" I asked.

"Yeah. This one was unexpected. I saw you coming with Rihan..."

Uh Oh...

"So are you guys like..." She started.

"We live in the same apartment building," I said, dodging the arrow. "So that's why. Ha ha..." I added a burst of nervous laughter. "See you then..." I walked on.